Hello there - From KZN

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im new in the marine game and have been trying to gather as much information as possible to start generating my full tank.
I am looking at starting a 4ft tank with a 3ft sump. I have designed my own sump and wish to get it made now.
I enjoy reading all of the forums on MASA because they give me great insight into where to begin and what it will be like to care for my own system.

Thanks to you guys for all of the useful information and keep it up.

Welcome to MASA. I am also just about to start up. This is a great place to learn

Welcome to MASA bud ... Great to have you join us here .... Enjoy your stay here and dont be afraid to ask any questions ..... Where about in KZN are you from?

I would just like to say thank you to all of you guys for the warm welcome and thanks to the people that are willing to help me. I must say that I respect all of you and hope to keep in close contact with all.

I will always do more research and will continue to feed my need for marine!

And also a quick question if I may?
Which is the best shop to go to to get all my necessities when it comes to equipment and livestock?

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome

Im new in the marine game ...
...I have designed my own sump and wish to get it made now

Seeing you are new in the marine game, rather post your sump idea. Unless you did read up a lot, you most likely will have something wrong, or not optimal. I had a similar setup, 4foot display and 3foot sump. Do you know Google Sketchup?

and livestock?
NO.
equipment yes. At this moment you can only think of livestock and what you want one day.

The quicker you realize that the number one rule in marines are "PATIENCE". The quicker you will be on the path to success. There are not a lot of short cuts. You can hurry nature up only that much. Else nature will backfire on you. And believe me, it takes a lot longer to recover from a pear shape situation than it takes preventing that situation.

KZN is rather big. Where abouts? I'm not familiar with KZN shops. But a lot of shops here in Gauteng do ship. Check the sponsors page.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome

Seeing you are new in the marine game, rather post your sump idea. Unless you did read up a lot, you most likely will have something wrong, or not optimal. I had a similar setup, 4foot display and 3foot sump. Do you know Google Sketchup?

NO.
equipment yes. At this moment you can only think of livestock and what you want one day.

The quicker you realize that the number one rule in marines are "PATIENCE". The quicker you will be on the path to success. There are not a lot of short cuts. You can hurry nature up only that much. Else nature will backfire on you. And believe me, it takes a lot longer to recover from a pear shape situation than it takes preventing that situation.

KZN is rather big. Where abouts? I'm not familiar with KZN shops. But a lot of shops here in Gauteng do ship. Check the sponsors page.

I have attached my design. I dont know what measurements to use for the chambers. I currently have a Reeftek TS2 Skimmer but I do not have a return pump yet. This design was made when I was reading the thread on sump designs for noobs. Hope I am coming right. If you can help me I would be very appreciative.

Thanx

Attachments

• 07.pdf
    170.3 KB · Views: 184
The dimensions are close to a standard Daro 3 foot tank. Just a bit higher. Actually TOO high. You got extra 20cm glass above the water level?

I would make the divider before the return 10mm lower than the first divider. That increases the volume above your DSB. That extra 50mm to keep cheato in.

You do not show the width of each chamber.

here is my standard Daro sump. a TS2 does fit in the first chamber.
10944e514b2033309.jpg

Thanks for that info. I have not added any width to the chambers because I am stuck with the fact that I don't know how big to make. I want to try attain the biggest DSB I can manage with enough space for the TS2 and a return pump.

Any ideas?

Also very nice setup in the pics @RiaanP

Last edited by a moderator:
Also very nice setup in the pics
that is my holding / quarantine system.
a lot of changes though Light replaced, rocks and sand in sump removed and replaced with bio-balls.

The first chamber are 160mm and the last 150mm. If I can remember correctly. Can house a TS2. Have to measure it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom