Hello from a different time zone!

:lol::lol::lol: @ Tobes! Now you're banned!:razz:

Well, did some Googling. Biltong is for me!!! Can I get hooked up with an assortment? Sarugby.com showed me rugby is a lot tougher than american football! A man's game! Steve Hofmeyer? The vote's still out on him. Would like to learn more about the power situation there. Couldn't imagine not having full power at all times. Except when one of those freakin' tornadoes come through in springtime and downs power lines and everything else in it's path. Do you get tornadoes there? So many questions. Lots of time. John

Easy, if you are younger than 20, you might be one of his kids:lol::whistling:

14549270024ee05e.jpg

14549270095841eb.jpg

14549270112e1e44.jpg

145492701669a5e8.jpg

145492701a09ab24.jpg

145492701f29046c.jpg

OK - first few.....

I'd be honored! I hope everyone enjoys.

John - JUST ONE WORD OF WARNING.... I too HAD a sea cucumber in my tank. Ask everyone else here on the board. It cost ME and my poor poor poor fish DEARLY!

The cuke got stuck on he inlet of a power-head..... needless to say - I LOST 13 of my 15 fish. I had REALY AWESOME tangs (5 of them: 2 of the MOST BEAUTIFULT sailfins, as well as 2 naso's, and one bristle tooth tang - they were REALLY nice and fat - AND EATING OUT OF MY HAND!).........

I lost nearly ALL of my fish! Because the sea cucumber excreted a nerve toxin, which made my fish drown!

So - please trade this creature.... I KNOW that they are AWESOME AWESOME substrate cleaners.... but rather trade it, than losing ALL your fish..... especially that BEAUTIFUL copperband (still one of my dream fish - just have not found one that is really eating frozen food yet - the 2 I DID buy from a LFS, died because they did not eat!)

Please hear my plea - it is NOT me just TELLING you to do something.... Because....

I've been through the same thing a long time ago. This cuke NEVER leaves the sandbed. Had it for two years now, and has never ventured up the glass. I had one years ago in a tank, and lost a puffer and some other nice fish after he got stuck in a pump intake. Been there, done that!

I've been through the same thing a long time ago. This cuke NEVER leaves the sandbed. Had it for two years now, and has never ventured up the glass. I had one years ago in a tank, and lost a puffer and some other nice fish after he got stuck in a pump intake. Been there, done that!

OK - Cool! So you know exactly what I am talking about! Great about this one though. I miss mine..... I vouched NEVER to get one again. BUT, if you say it NEVER leaves the sand-bed, then I MIGHT get one of those perhaps.... It kept my sandbed NICE AND CLEAN!

Thalion, that's what I'm talkin' about! We have an overpopulation of big whitetail deer here. Hopefully, I'll need the biltong recipe tonight. Usually I take the loins, then grind and jerky[hot pepper] the rest. Google Bureau County Illinois whitetail deer.

Oooooh - that sounds LEKKA! (meaning VERY VERY NICE - delicious - awesome)....

Try the following:
- once sliced & diced - "marinade" in old English Worcester Sauce (hope you know this)... and some salt/vinegar/pepper corns....
- keep the meat in this mix for a few hours, or even a day or so...
- then literally "hang out to dry" in a cool room with some fans JUST BARELY moving the air..... (not blasting away)
- leave it hanging there to dry for at least 2 weeks or so....

THEN YOU HAVE SOME NICE BILTONG!

Send some over here for us to try ;)

BTW: wish I was there to join in on the hunt!

jaquesb, thanks for posting my crappy, ameteurish pictures. And the recipe. Hope the next pics I post are bambizilla!

Just shout if you want some tips on taking PICS! BELIEVE ME - these guys knows a LOT MORE than just how to keep fish and reefs happy! Have a look at some of Thalion's pics, Sean_Koekemoer's pics........

They can really teach MANY of us "how to".... ;)

AND:
You are MORE than welcome.... I think that Sean_K and Crispin will be able to assist with even BETTER biltong recipies! BUT, try them all - and see which you like best.....

Wait until you try our traditional "potjie kos" (heavy steel pot - and the food cooked there-in)...... AWESOME! ;)

I gave up pot in the 70's;) Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. But I'll try anything foodwise! Maybe we can start a favorite recipe thread from two sides of the world. Talk about cultural exchange, I love this hobby!

Good morning, all! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Had a successful hunt and scored a new coral! Life is good. My brother in law got a big buck, and I shot a doe. Bambiburgers for all!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom