Heaters,

Reaction score
With Eishkom and all their crap, my heaters are taking strain and have lost 2 in the last few weeks.

They where cheapies from the LFS but would like some advise as to unit that are better for a reef tank.

Thanks

What I do is I use normal ViaAqua bit just make sure that I have more than one at all times, I am going to connect them to a STC-1000 controller (quite cheap) for some more reliability as well.

Yeah if you want quality then get eheims. They are more pricey, but seem to last ages. I have had mine for almost 5 years.

I got one of those eheim 300w heaters but found the calibration off, even after using the calibration setting dial. I have it running on an electronic thermostat now. Maybe I just got a bum one. My eheim return pump also started acting up after a few short months and has been relegated to the fishpond. I am not really feeling this "German engineering" quality.

Rather use more heaters than you do need. If you use 2 heaters, rather use 3 or maybe even 4. Does not save on electrical costs, but it does prevent the heaters from running long periods. Rather a lot shorter quicker runs.

The again, not sure if that is a good idea on the cheapy heaters. As it is normally their contacts that pack up and arc in the on position.

I will run 2 * 300W heaters at least.

I run 5 * 300 on my system. Total volume also about 1800L.
In the summer months they are basically just taking up space.

Controlled from a STC-1000.

Back
Top Bottom