Have you ever been sold inappropriate / outdated / crappy equipment by a LFS/Pet Shop

Have you ever been sold unnecessary, outdated, and/or crappy equipment by a Pet Shop?

• Yes

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Yes

Yes - and I was not aware of any sites likes SARK/MASA/UR, etc... I did my home-work from old Marine-keeping books that I had. I would have expected the LFS's to be more knowledgeable and help, seeing that I was a newbie at the time (still am - knowledge-wise - but at lease I am a wisened up newbie).

So, 88 % of respondents have been "done in" by a shop at some stage - so it looks as if I was right in saying "some (most, in my experience...) shops will never say no to making a quick buck".

Perhaps the "shocked" pet shop owners who were so verbal about my article would like to comment...

Hennie

Yes.

When I was first looking up keeping marines, i typed in word like Marine care, saltwater aqauriums and i dont know why niether sark nor masa came up, so is there an easier whay of getting MASA more visable?

Hi All,

With regards to this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to check if my statement is true that: "most pet shops will sell inappropriate / outdated and/or generally crappy (not fit for purpose) equipment to inexperienced beginner aquarists"

Please just answer either:
YES
or
No
YES!!!!!!
000200BE.gif
0002006E.gif

no i go in to a lfs with what i want no need to try sell something to me cuz i wont buy i go already with some thing in my mind that i want to get i will walk about look at new things new fish or what eva it is and to prevent my self from buys other crap i only take enough money for what i want to buy that is all if i want to get somthing else i have to go home to go get more money thus giving me time to think about it adn do research on that product

When I was first looking up keeping marines, i typed in word like Marine care, saltwater aqauriums and i dont know why niether sark nor masa came up, so is there an easier whay of getting MASA more visable?
First off you need to spell "aquarium" right :p

If you google "saltwater fish tank" or "marine aquarium", we come up first, "saltwater aquarium" comes up on page 3 of google, it all depends on the search terms you use, but we do seem to feature quite a bit on google.

Anyway, back to the topic of the poll. :)

Just as a balance folks, how much research did you persoanlly do before buying?

By that i mean, when you bought your car/house, how much effort did you put into making sure you bought the right thing - with the car, i'm sure if you have 3 kids, you can't complain if the seller sold you a 2 seater sports convertible. and with the house, i'm sure there were surveys done before your lender allowed you to purchase??

Soooooooooooo, do we have the right to complain, just because we didn't do our home work before buying lots of junk we didn't need???

I bring my original reply back up for you all to read, basically i say research and bring you own answers to the table, it's your hobby, you learn how to look after what you want to keep, don't expect the shop to hold your hand for you, i fully understand the contra-arguments but when it comes down to it folks, it's up to you.

...basically i say research and bring you own answers to the table, it's your hobby, you learn how to look after what you want to keep, don't expect the shop to hold your hand for you, i fully understand the contra-arguments but when it comes down to it folks, it's up to you.

Yes Mike, I agree, ONCE YOU KNOW BETTER...

The problem is that most newbies don't have much of a clue when they start, and look up to the shop to advise/guide them, the shop being the "expert". Unfortunately MOST pet shops don't know anything about keeping marines successfully. The average South African pet shop is probably more than 20 years behind in knowledge & technology, still advising people to use bio balls and wet/dry filters (or even under-gravel filters and canister-filters). Most of them also don't have a clue about getting info from the Internet.

Hennie

Yes - often - then I dicovered MASA and found how much guys like Hennie are willing to do for the hobby in SA. Thanks to all here! If it werent for you guys the LFSs in this country would run this hooby into the ground! Fast!

Thanks agian to all!

No, luckily I found MASA and SARK before I bought anything marine related...:slayer:And I have been worked at the LFS for the last 10 years, enough time to learn a few things about LFS's...;)

IMO
The retailer which isn't part of this forum as a sponsor is probably the one to be weary of?

This is a major issue and really,the LFSs that are ripping newbies off need to be given a message.There should be like a black list of the people who do this.It would be easy to control.For example,lets say I have just realized that Ive been ripped,i could just call one of the MASA mods and report it,they could take it up with the shop owner.That way there wouldnt be any false naming and shaming.I would suggest that the Sponsors take more of an active role in preventing this from happening anymore,as it is I would say I am now more inclined to trust the sponsors that have already made comments on this thread.
00020114.gif

Back
Top Bottom