Have tank what now????

There was a thread yesterday about different readings on a Refracto.

I got 3 different readings from 3 different lfs - who all calibrated their Fractos
Reading was between 1022 and 1031

I use and trust my Refracto, which is about 1 or 2 ot with my Hydrometer because it is still better than the tongue tip test...

Leave it in the garage, read as much as you can about marine tanks .... then get started. Trust me .. you going to be spending a lot of money! Learn as much as possible first .. then get started.

Good advice here!

Imho, I would put off doing anything for at least 2 weeks and start researching like mad. I would recommend the book 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert Fenner, which you can order online. Alternatively read the many sticky threads on this site about starting a marine tank and do some research on reputable sites on exactly how to go about all the steps needed to start a marine tank :) I've read too many stories about people who just jump into it and then a few months later the system crashes and everything goes downhill :(

From what I understand its not necessarily a difficult hobby IF you do sufficient research (the more the better), take everything slow (cycling the tank, stocking livestock etc), and learn to do regular (daily, weekly and monthly) maintanance (husbandry).

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom