• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Harlequin Shrimp

Are you talking about the very small brittle sea stars?

Are you talking about the very small brittle sea stars?

No, not brittle Stars, the ones that eat Zoanthids... I was trying to frag one of my zoas yesterday and I must have pulled off about 7 of the buggers from the Zoas. So I'm pretty sure it's them eating my zoas.

Thanks DV8. I know they are some in PE, but I'd prefer to not have to ship them, so I'm trying to get up here in JHB.

Slagter, phone around and check. I know animal kingdom in Hillfox usually gets some unusual animals

now what happens when they run out of food? be prepared to donate him to a system that can meet his needs

Or keep buying sea stars to feed it

in the last 2 months or so ive noticed two of my zoa colonies not looking so hot, as well as my torch. thinking water quality/ light deterioration, checked it all out and everything is fine. then one night i came home to catch one of the buggers in the process of munching on my torch! out he went.... i have since found several others which have also been sent on their way to starfish heave... or hell!

Slagter, phone around and check. I know animal kingdom in Hillfox usually gets some unusual animals

I point blank refuse to buy any livestock from Hillfox!

now what happens when they run out of food? be prepared to donate him to a system that can meet his needs

I know. I'm going to see if I can persuade some of the coastal reefers who collect fish and things to maybe collect some and send them to me.

Or keep buying sea stars to feed it

That is option 2.

or train them to take small pieces of hake while they are taking out the star fish so that u can wean them over:)

I've heard of this happening and I will give it a bash.

I've never had a problem with astrena stars. Adee has millions in his tank and he doesnt have any problem.

How sure are you that they eating your zoa's?

I know. I've seen his tank a couple of times. It seems as though I have a few types in my tank though. I have 5 legged stumpy ones as well as 6 legged ones that stay smaller...

in the last 2 months or so ive noticed two of my zoa colonies not looking so hot, as well as my torch. thinking water quality/ light deterioration, checked it all out and everything is fine. then one night i came home to catch one of the buggers in the process of munching on my torch! out he went.... i have since found several others which have also been sent on their way to starfish heave... or hell!

This is exactly what I noticed yesterday. Hence the need for a Harlequin. But I have hundreds of the bloody things! All over the glass, substrate and the rocks, so trying to remove them will be near impossible.

I'm also thinking of maybe setting up a small system specifically to grow the little bastards to constantly be able to supply a few every week for the Harlequin Shrimp. I think this might be a better idea.

Its the 6 legged variety that seem to eat zoas. Most of my zoanthids have been wiped out due to an outbreak of these...must have come in on some corals.

You can always do the linkia leg trick...wont go into details as I will get moaned at for inhumane behaviour :p

Its the 6 legged variety that seem to eat zoas. Most of my zoanthids have been wiped out due to an outbreak of these...must have come in on some corals.

You can always do the linkia leg trick...wont go into details as I will get moaned at for inhumane behaviour :p
lol if he reads the threads that are quoted he will see what u mean:p

Not a bad idea, but I don't know if I could chop a leg off a living creature... Probably setup a tank for pincushion Stars and see if anyone at the coast will be kind enough to collect a few for me.

Although, I am going down to Durbs in Feb. I might just go collecting for myself!

Back
Top Bottom