Hard corals

Reaction score
Hey masa users :thumbup::peroni:, what do i need in order to have hard corals in my tank such as plates and birds nests to grow successfully in my tank, my tank is currently 7 months old, is there any chemicals I must add into my tank before putting hard corals into my tank ?? :thumbup::thumbup:

U need to check you calcium,magnesium and alkalinity... u need adequate lighting and strong flow within in your tank...

Also filtration is quite important.. phosphates and nitrates cant be high...

U need to check you calcium,magnesium and alkalinity... u need adequate lighting and strong flow within in your tank...

Also filtration is quite important.. phosphates and nitrates cant be high...

Consistant water parameters

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent water flow as Jake Adams will talk about during the Expo. Actually looking forward to hearing why water flow is more important than lighting. Lighting is important though, too low they can die, too high they can bleach. Positioning in the tank would differ from coral to coral. A calcium reactor I find speeds up growth as does more yellow lighting, but the royal blues make them look awesome. :thumbup: As @Ruberto Frazao said need to check calcium,magnesium and alkalinity especially when you have quite a few sps corals.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh no, can't do that, then the students will know you're surfing MASA and not checking that no one is cheating.

Would be awesome to write exams there though, just through some pics of acros on the floor and while you're staring they can share some answers.

SG, temp Alk, ca ,mg stablility and the key building blocks to SPS as are low NO3 and PO4.

What ever method you choose to achive this be it Dosing, water change calcium reactors, etc. You must make sure you monitor the parameters.

Flow this up with good Flow and lighting. (I doubt you can have to much of either)

These things will give you growth.

Then there is colouration, this is where elements liek Fe, I, K come into play along with fuel(amino acids)

Just a side note, dark rich sps colours seem to come from having a certain amount of NO3 and PO4 in the water. Lighter pastel colouration will come from having an ULNS.

I'd say birds nest isn't the best first sps. It can be tempremental at times and rather hard to keep.
The montis are a good start, the plating are very hardy, as are the digis and hirsuta.
Even some acros are good starter sps depending on which species you get.

I'd say birds nest isn't the best first sps. It can be tempremental at times and rather hard to keep.

I think we need to diffirenciate here

Seriatopora hystrix pink birds nest is difficult and tempremental
seriatopora4.jpg

Seriatopora guttatus green birds nest is an easy starter coral that is fast growing and extermlty hardy
6607943647_83046d43b7_z.jpg

Monti is easy as are some acros.

But if your basic parameters are wrong it dont matter what you do

You forgot caliendrum.
I've seen birdnest thrive in one tank and wither in another for no apparent reason.

True, basic parameters are key to success no matter how hardy.

Back
Top Bottom