Handy links

Reaction score
Having posted a lot of links to interesting articles lately, I thought it would be a good idea to post a "links page", with links to some of my articles (marked with *), and to info which I consider as being "Definitive" for our hobby.

Feel free to add links if you have any, and I will move them up into the correct category :) - also feel free to disagree on any link being "definitive", and if I'm convinced I will gladly remove it...

Starting in the hobby:

So, you want to start with Marines? *

Filtration:

The complete Nitrogen Cycle

Filtration in marine aquaria *

Reef Aquaria as Ecosystems - by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Live Rock As A Biological Filter: Hit or Myth? by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.. - Reefkeeping.com

Applications of Sand in Reef Aquariums: Theory and Practice by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

How Sandbeds REALLY Work by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Are Plenums obsolete - Another viewpoint part 1, by Rob Toonen, Ph.D - Seabay article

Are Plenums obsolete - Another viewpoint part 2, by Rob Toonen, Ph.D - Seabay article

Granular Activated Carbon: Part 1, by Richard Harker - Reefs.org article

Granular Activated Carbon: Part 2, by Richard Harker - Reefs.org article

Skimmers:

Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

What is Skimming? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

DIY Calcium Reactor:

DJ88's Calcium Reactor - DIY!

Sumps:

Reefkeeping 101: Sumps - Reefkeeping.com

Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtration:

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Tank Chemistry:

Calcium and Alkalinity

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Solving calcium and alkalinity problems

The Relationship Between Alkalinity and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Advanced Aquarist.com

ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Clams Direct :: View topic - Water chemistry guidelines

Silicon - Foe or Friend by Craig Bingman, Ph.D - Reefs.org article

Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

High pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The Degradation of Limewater in Air by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Optimum Parameters:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

What is Seawater? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Whar are Natural Reef Salinities and Temperatures... really... and does it matter by Ron Schimek, Ph.D - Archived Aquarium Frontiers article

Reef Tank Temperatures, Another View by Richard Harker - Archived Aquarium Frontiers article

Lighting:

Thoughts on Reef Aquarium Lighting… Keep Your Eye on the Prize! by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com

Coral Photoacclimation by Andrew Trevor-Jones - Reefkeeping.com

Stony Coral Pigments, Algae Pigments and Captive Lighting by Steve Tyree - Reefs.org

Underwater Lighting Conditions - Reef Keeping Online

Lighting the Reef Tank: A Primer for Beginners - Reefkeeping.com

Water movement:

Water flow calculator *

An Overview of Powerhead Choices Available to the Reef Hobbyist - ReefKeeping.com

Pressure vs. Head - Keidel plumbing

Technical information about pumps and pump theory (only for the very technically inclined...)

Aquarium Water pumps: Operation, Selection and Installation

General husbandry and maintenance:

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Mything the Point: Part One by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

Tank construction:

Glass thickness calculator *

Feeding:

The Nutrient Dynamics of Coral Reefs: Part I, Biogeochemical Cycles by Chris Jury - Reefkeeping.com

The Nutrient Dynamics of Coral Reefs: Part II, The Oceanic System

The Nutrient Dynamics of Coral Reefs: Part III, Land and Sea

The Nutrient Dynamics of Coral Reefs: Part IV, The Sky Above

The Breeder's Net by Frank Marini & Dwayne Sapp (breeding copepods, etc.)

Tank inhabitants:

Organism selection for Marine Aquaria (This is a MUST READ!)

Identification:

Marine Life Photography (Photos of 100's of species of fish, corals, algae, etc)

Fish:

Breeding Clarkii Clownfish

Corals:

Aquarium invertebrates

Unusual Stony Coral Propagation Techniques by Adam Cesnales and Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Clams:

Clams Direct :: View topic - Tridacnid clam ID made easy (submitted by Sunburst)

Other invertebrates:

Mantis Shrimps:

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Cuttlefish:

Cuttlefish Army - Reefkeeping.com

Algae:

Beyond the Refugium: A Macroalgae Primer by Sarah Lardizabal - Reefkeeping.com

'Bubble' Alage: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments by Horge Cortes-Jorge, Jr. - Reefkeeping.com

... more to follow :):) :whistling:

Last edited:
Sunburst - hope Hennie does not mind me speaking for him - BUT I think that would definitely be of help to all of us! Perhaps email / PM the links to Hennie and he can add it in his list (with reference to you of course!)

No, I don't mind at all :)

Guys, as far as I'm concerned, this forum is for everyone, and I learn as much from it as anyone else - so feel free to post links, articles, etc. directly to this thread. I will look at it when time allows, and then move it up to the correct category if I think it's suitable (else I will delete it...). Alternatively, as Jacquesb suggested, PM me the link, and I will do the dirty work :whistling:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom