Greenish hair algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Tinus benade, 24 Feb 2013.

1. Tinus benade

Tinus benade

10 Sep 2012
    Hi all

My tank is today 23 weeks old ,nitrates and phosphates almost zero.
    I continously having problems of all kinds of colorful algae brown then purple now green. my flow in tank(4 Ft 350l ) running with two 5000l wave i think the flow in the tank is enough. another question though ,why dont i have algae in my sump,? live rock as clean as can be!! algae.jpg

Last edited: 24 Feb 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShaunSwindon

22 Nov 2010
    "There is no simple solution to the problem of controlling excess algae growth because a variety of factors are involved. Of primary importance in the closed system of a marine aquarium is the accumulation of excessive levels of nutrient ions in the tank. Nitrate, phosphate, carbon dioxide and dissolved organic matter all play a role. These substances are in relatively short supply in the natural environment of the coral reef. In the aquarium, however, they can rapidly accumulate, providing "fertilizer" for explosive growths of filamentous, encrusting and free-floating algae species".

"Lighting also plays a role in algae growth. For example, in tanks that formerly grew little algae, the appearance of a bloom of diatoms, red slime algae or blue-green slime algae is often indicative of the need to change light bulbs. As fluorescent lamps age, their intensity diminishes and their spectral output changes, which may trigger a growth of undesirable algae where none was previously present".

Test your tank water for nitrates and Phosphates firstly.

If you have Green Hair Algae in your tank, your phosphates should read well above .05 mg/L., which is considered by many to be the lowest level at which Green Hair Algae will grow. Ironically, if you have Green Hair Algae in your tank and your phosphate and nitrate tests read low or near zero, the algae in your tank could be eating and locking up the phosphates and nitrates so they won't show up in a test. The most common source of phosphates in an aquarium is from the freshwater used for top offs and water changes.

Basically by reducing the nitrate and phosphate levels in your tank, your tank will soon be healthy and free of the Green Hair Algae :thumbup:

Otherwise get a small hermit crab for every 20 litres of water you have in your tank. They should mow down any growth on your rocks. The sides of the glass are a different story. Perhaps get a snail or ten and they will take care of that ;)
  4. pkc

17 Oct 2008
    The main cause is orthophosphates and to a lesser extent nitrate. Nitrate needs bacteria to process it and some algae are symbiotic with cyano bacteria. The test for orthophosphate is expensive for hobbyists, but it is there. The test we do is for phosphorus, they just call it phosphate. There are mainly three end results to the nitrogen cycle, nitrogen of course, phosphorus and orthophosphate. Once your oxidisers go to work and make ammonia then nitrite, the bond of phosphorus and orthophosphate is broken. Then it’s a case of inorganic phosphorus and orthophosphate that your skimmer can not remove, but algae and cyano can and will flourish with these now being inorganic! In a marine aquarium orthophosphate remain in suspension to some degree due to certain PH levels. Orthophosphate is a binding agent as it was in the all living tissue in the first place and at the right PH levels, it will bind to most surfaces in your aquarium. This is an ongoing bind and release situation as the PH fluctuates when lights are off to when they are on!
    With lighting, use LEDs,the imbedded colours are great for quality algae and they can last up to ten years of full on life, if fan cooled that is. Resistance lighting tubes or bulbs last a max of 4 to 6 months of quality colours and there is heat produced,LEDs do not do this to any level worth worrying about. Algae on average is photosynthetic, this can not happen with out light. Cyano is the similar sort of, it can up take and photosynthesis nutrients as well.
Recent Posts