Grass growing on my live rock

Reaction score
Hi all

My first marine tank setup and think I got all the basics down.

My tank is still cycling (2weeks) in and noticed a green grass like growth on one of my live rocks.

Is this anything to be concerned about or is this normal? None of my other pieces of live rock have it on.

Should I remove the piece or let it takes it course? As it is not appearing on any other piece of live rock.

Thanks for advice in advance

See attached
20160616_163039.jpg

Thanks for the advice EFJ

I'm not sure what it is to be honest.

Tank only cycled 2 weeks in

So wasn't sure if this normal or something to worry about when the tank is established.

In the pic upload, was trying to manually remove it from the rock, but it's virtually impossible, plucked scrubbed etc.

Will it die off eventually? Or live stock be feeding off of it?

Really wanted to start off with a healthy tank

Bryopsis is tuff as nails. I am not sure if there is any fish that eat it. From what I know the only way to get rid of it is a high magnesium level but so far I have only seen a couple of guys on the net that has had real success in getting rid of it. I know of guys that closed their tanks down because of bryopsis. The safe thing would be is to take the rock out and maybe leave it in a high magnesium mixed water tub but that is only a suggestion and not a guarantee.

is it hard gut like strings.

If yes, they are really difficult to remove. Best is to cut it out with small knife, basically cutting a piece of rock with the root. Digging them out, root and all.

Do it outside your tank. In a tub with some old tank water. Rinse them thereafter in another small tub. Do not want stray strands and spores re-entering the system.

Thanks guys.

Is it definitely bryopsis though?

From what u guys can see on the pic?

Should I try to get another closer pic?

Ok. Thanks a mill

Will check it out now

If it is bryopsis, I read that Kent Tech M Magnesium will sort it out?

I had huge success removing bryopsis with a long spine sea urchins, but your tank is still cycling so cannot be added yet.

Hi guys

I had a look at cladophora, I think it might be that.

Is bryopsis stiff green stalks of soft?

Cause the short stalks on my rocks are hard stemmed.

How do I tell the difference between the 2?

The grass on the rocks not feathery at all, so can I assume it not bryopsis?

Back
Top Bottom