Get yourselves a battery powered air pump!

All you need is a relay. It has to "accept" 220-230V as the input and needs to be able to handle 12V or whatever on the output. It also needs to be "normally closed". Normally closed means when the input is "dead" ie. theres no electricity in this case, the output circuit will be closed. When there is electricity, ie. 220V on the input side, the switch will be open so the pump will be off and the battery can charge.

Try find a link or model number or something if you find the right thing... There's hundred of different kinds out there!

Does anyone know where I can get one of those battery power air pump?

Can't trust Eskom to keep my fish alive....:lol:

I was using a battery operated air pump but decided to change to an ac/dc air pump to cover for those times when load shedding start when I am not at home.

Works quite well for me. (e.g. for going on holiday).

Ja...must get one!!
At least I have a generator for the extreme cases...

If been searching on eBay and Amazon... but they don't ship to SA

Last edited:
I was using a battery operated air pump but decided to change to an ac/dc air pump to cover for those times when load shedding start when I am not at home.

Works quite well for me. (e.g. for going on holiday).

Could you give me more details about one of these and where could i find one?

You keep it plugged into the eskom network and as soon load shedding start it start sing the power from its back-up battery. Bought it from Wild on Pets.

You keep it plugged into the eskom network and as soon load shedding start it start sing the power from its back-up battery. Bought it from Wild on Pets.

thanks, this may sound like a stupid question... but does the air-pump need to be constantly running for it to switch over to the battery when eskom puts the lights off?

I'm asking as i currently use a battery air-pump only when the power is out and not sure if i want bubbles in my tank constantly?

what price range was the ac/dc air pump?

What a coincidence... got the pump 8am This morning...and now load shedding...
working good so far...

Shoo, do you have back-up power? This is scary. Not sure what can run a tank that long. 15 hours

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom