G'day All

Reaction score
Hi,

Geoff here, I'm in Australia and live on the Gold Coast. I am an active member of the MASQ (marine aquarium society of queensland), we have just over 200 members.

Just found your forum while watching the Socceroos get demolished by Germany:(:(

I like to keep an eye on forums from different countries so I can be best informed about the hobby.

I have taken a look at some of the featured tanks and I am very impressed, well done.

I keep a 3x2x1.5(tall) tank which is recovering from a few months of neglect because I got a new boat and I've been out in it whenever possible.

Here is the latest shot:

IMG_0470.jpg

My interests, as you would expect, are watersports, snorkelling and diving and I've done a fair bit of diving in SA mostly around Umkamaas(spelling?) Which was awesome.

I've save the site to my favorites so will definately be checking in.

geoff >::::(>

welcome to our forum.

please tell us a bit more about your tank.

it looks awesome BTW!

we have just over 200 members.
MASA got a little bit more....:)

Just found your forum while watching the Socceroos get demolished by Germany:(:(
You got klapped. That is how we will say it in South Africa

I keep a 3x2x1.5(tall) tank
That is obviously not in Meter but in Foot.

Your tank looks nice, I like that openness. And it really do not look like a recovering from neglet tank. Unless you spend at least 2 full days working on it. Did you add a new layer of sand?

By the way, Welcome to MASA

good day geoff and welcome to masa great to have you join.

sorry about the pounding you guys got in ure opeing game, 4 nill is not fun to watch if you support aus, but atleast the wallabies werent up against the boks so you might have had a decent game of rugga to watch instead :)

share a little info about your tank will ya (oh and stop neglecting it:)) and as Riaan pointed out its a pitty thats no m long measurements! do you guys catch alot of stuff yourself? we have a member on masa from Brissie and they do lots of catching for their local club, i'll try recall his name (unless some one else can point it out for me:)).

oh and you might engoy our angling thread, seeing as you enjoy fishing:)

welcome and happy postings:)

Welcome to MASA!!

Thanks for the big welome guys.

Measurements in metric are 900x600x480. We, for some reason still use feet for fish tanks and surfboards, nothing else.

To answer some Q's;

The substrate was newly added at the time this pic was taken. It's araganite 2mm grade and I manage to keep it fairly clean with weekly syphoning.
I had previously run it with BB but I found it hard to keep aquascaping from sliding so I went with some lower flow, now 35x turnover so I didn't get substrate blowing everywhere.

Tank looks pretty good in that pic I admit but in the 3 or 4 months I neglected it, I reckon I lost about 10 corals so pretty slack on my behalf, although I have had an awsome time in my boat so...

We have 200 paying members in our club MASQ but it's one of 7 state clubs that make up the overiding body, MASA(Marine Aquarium Society of Australia) not sure how many paying members in total but our forum, Reefing the Australian Way has over 9000 registered users, not all are active anymore. We probably get about 60-80 posts per day. please have a look, there are some names here I already recognise so you are more than welcome www.masa.asn.au

I'll definately be checking out the fishing forum, thanks! I did a bit of fishing in SA, mostlly off the beach in St Lucia catching sharks and. And lost a big mullaway,not sure what you call it, due to excitement in the final stages of the fight.

Bit more about the tank. It's been running since August. Has a Marine Sources skimmer and has a 500mm cube as a sump which is divided into only 2 sections, a 'fuge and return but I will be taking it offline soon and adding a remote DSB

We collect NSW here when the conditions are right and store it for water changes. I have 600L of storage and try to do 15% changes weekly.

I have minimal lighting because I don't want to go broke with power bills. Lighting consists of a 150W MH over the bombie to the left and a pair of 900mm T5's that service the whole tank with 1 bulb being actinic

Some build pics

100_3138.jpg

100_3139.jpg

Some of our local wildlife

100_3150.jpg

100_3148.jpg

100_2590.jpg

angel.jpg

lowtide008.jpg

I also keep a 300mm cube on my desktop housing a g.smithii Mantis
100_3082.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Hope I'm not boring the hell out of you.

Welcome to MASA, both your tanks looks very nice. I can only imagine what the bigger one looked like before...

Back
Top Bottom