Reaction score
Need some help

My tank is 5 and half weeks old still in the cylce phase

180lt
canister filter with juwel built in filter
2xt5's

about 13kg of LR
i had one hermit crab and 2 snails

friends tank glass broke on sat managed to take some of his water and recover some of his fish

2 clowns
2 gobys
1 hermit
1 starfish
1 lobster

i put these into my tank with a drip for 45 mins

is this good or bad ? will this disrupt my cycle
do i need to do anything like water changes etc

It wont disrupt the cycle but you will have to dose some bacteria such as seachem stability, or Brightwell aquatics Microbacter 7 to get some decent bacteria in there to handle the potential ammonia and nitrite.

Do daily tests and be prepared to do large waterchanges if necessary.

Thanks Marius ..

Time to get me more water , i only got about 20lts left

hows this for luck i bought seachem this past weekend ..

mojoe whats the filtration capasity of your tank like? do you have any LR (if so hiow much?) do you have a skimmer (if so what make) and are you running carbon (prefably in a reactor?)

thats a big load into a new tank all at once so you might over load the filtration of the system as its still developing but as marius says, dosing bacteria will help in the short term. You will need to do good water changes on a regular basis or you run the risks of difficulties later on

mojoe whats the filtration capasity of your tank like? do you have any LR (if so hiow much?) do you have a skimmer (if so what make) and are you running carbon (prefably in a reactor?)

thats a big load into a new tank all at once so you might over load the filtration of the system as its still developing but as marius says, dosing bacteria will help in the short term. You will need to do good water changes on a regular basis or you run the risks of difficulties later on

Crispin

i have about 12 mayb up to 15kg of live rock

im running a canister with
stop phosphate
matrix
bbac
chemipure

in the tank built in is a filter which is packed with ceramic balls and coal

when we recovered my mates fish i recovered some of his water about 50lts
so i did a water change using some of his water prior to moving the fish into my tank.

so far all good

fish are very active and did my 1st feed
the crabs are busy with a tour
the starfish has moved to another end of the tank
and the lobster found a quiet spot to chill off

tested water

Amonia was in the yellow region 0mg

PH was fine if anything was between 8 and 8,5
and No2 was was in the light yellow

for now thumbs up and lets hop things stay this way

great top hear things are going well:)

i guarentee that things wont stay that way as its a dynamic living system, so things will change. Keep testing as thats your best indicator if things start to go south:)

All the advice above is spot on, seachem or prodibio is your friend in this situation.

My worry is the longevity of the system. Never been a fan of the canister filters as they can cause a lot of buildup and therefore lead to higher nutrients.

Have you considered proper filtration?

LR, skimmers etc

so what lfs sold you so much livestock @ one time:whistling:

my friends tank cracked:lol:

another 1 for the books,but saying its true,sorry to hear tho,also if his tank was mature,addind some of his liverock willl also help with maintanance

so what lfs sold you so much livestock @ one time:whistling:

my friends tank cracked:lol:

another 1 for the books,but saying its true,sorry to hear tho,also if his tank was mature,addind some of his liverock willl also help with maintanance
eish Jsreefn, its not nice to doubt a mans word when the cards are down and he is doing what he can to recover from the situation. If the fella says a tank cracked, then the probability is that A TANK CRACKED and not that he overstocked from a lfs like you imply!

eish Jsreefn, its not nice to doubt a mans word when the cards are down and he is doing what he can to recover from the situation. If the fella says a tank cracked, then the probability is that A TANK CRACKED and not that he overstocked from a lfs like you imply!

Relax dude, I was kidding , did u read the entire post or did u selectively read what u wanted

:whistling: but some people ...

i never mentioned the live rock cracked the tank i never mentioned what did

actual reason tank cracked was a glass company came in to install sliders ontop of the tank. they obviosly did some thing or something fell on the tank to cause it to run.

i inheritted alot of the LR from the cracked tank along with the fish life .

:thumbup::thumbup:
but as long as u okes had a laugh

Just FYI

tank seems stable again doing tests morning and evening

fish seem fairly active and tests all within the safe area's

All the advice above is spot on, seachem or prodibio is your friend in this situation.

My worry is the longevity of the system. Never been a fan of the canister filters as they can cause a lot of buildup and therefore lead to higher nutrients.

Have you considered proper filtration?

LR, skimmers etc

Yes i have considered proper filteration .

However i have also read a few people that have been successful with canister filters.

This tank has a built in filter system and did run for 4 years prior to me buying it with no issues at all .

since buying this tank i have added an extra cannister filter added more live rock to what the previous owner had.

if u look at the Juwel tank space for the external filters is an issue so hence the option to run the route i have taken.

Mojoe said:
Yes i have considered proper filteration .

However i have also read a few people that have been successful with canister filters.

This tank has a built in filter system and did run for 4 years prior to me buying it with no issues at all .

since buying this tank i have added an extra cannister filter added more live rock to what the previous owner had.

if u look at the Juwel tank space for the external filters is an issue so hence the option to run the route i have taken.

Cool sounds like have things balanced, just keep those filters nice and clean ...

Back
Top Bottom