Freshwater mollies in marine

Reaction score
So who can tell me why people do this mollies in a marine tank ne reason for this

Pretty much the 3 reasons palmerc mentioned :p

They're also used for live food sometimes because they breed so easily and prolifically.

so these guys can be a food source but for wat corals or fish and wat do they do wen u use them for the tank cycle

no its called short hand viper lmao or lazy fingers hey have a close look at my avatar lol

Think he was meaning look at the hand (not the wedding tackle)...

For some reason it should be black mollies. Don't ask me why, but they tend to live longer in the salt water. The others keel over too soon...

The sailfin molly, Poecilia latipinna, is a species of fish, of the genus Poecilia. They inhabit fresh, brackish, and coastal waters from North Carolina to Texas and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.
This is why they are more than happy in a marine aquarium. If you are going to use them, be sure to drip them carefully to allow them to adjust from fresh to salt conditions. And yes they do enjoy eating algae.

The use of black or sailfin mollies to cycle marine tanks dates back quite far, when setting up the marine tank guys would add the mollies and then cycle the tank in much the same way as one would cycle the FW tanks, except they would increase the salinity as well over time.. however with LR & LS coming into favour there is little of no need to do this anymore, infact I am pretty sure this form of cycling marine tanks is not really done anymore among marine fishkeepers as there is really no need.

Muz

I`ve had a couple in my quarintine tank for a few months now,they are nice and chearful and keep the filter bacteria ticking over.When I add a new fish they help it settle in and stop the new fish from hidding as they normally do if there are no other fish around.

Ok interesting thanx guys that pretty much answers my curiosity

Back
Top Bottom