Freefly's nano aquascape project Q&A

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I asked this under the new members page, but it seems it doesn't get good exposure, so I am moving the thread here.

Riaan P was nice enough to answer some of the below questions, but perhaps other members can help me, especially with number three, as there is a chance that I will begin scaping this weekend :thumbup:

I was also invited to his house for a quick info session, which I really appreciate! Thanks Riaan!

Cobus

Thanks to all the welcomes so far, i do appreciate it! It seems this community is a tad more welcoming than others I currently reside in I have also been contacted by some of you trying to help me obtaining tanks, and I appreciate it!

I would like to bounce a couple of ideas I have around with you all, and I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone. I can only learn.

I want to buy a 28 gallon JBJ cube, measuring +- 460mm (height) x 550mm x 550mm. I think a 28 gallon is a good start, as smaller will just be too much for me to handle, and the unit as is seems pretty reasonable for the price. I can always buy a whole new bigger and better tank at a later stage, and keep this on in my study! These marine tanks are mezmirizing!

I want to have this unit as self sufficient as possible, as I frequently go away for a day to sometimes a week at a time, and also at short notice, so after a considerable amount of reading and learning, I want to know whether these possibilities might work. I also only want to use sustained methods, i.e. dead rock that has been in someone elses aquarium for a while (I found some), captive bred fish and invertebrates (don't know how easy this might be), and frags of corals. Thus, I want as close to zero impact on the ocean as possible. I am not a tree hugging hippie, but I feel that, due to being a nature lover, and avid diver, I would prefer to leave Nemo and co where they were born.

I want to make 'half' a deep sand bed:
I do like the look of a small layer of white sand around the perimiter of the glass, but also the benifits of a dsb might be benificial to me, especially with my lifestyle!
Would I be able to slope the sand from aproximately 2 cm's in the front of the tank, to +- 10 cm's at the rear of the tank, and use this slope as part of my aquascaping? Would it be benificial to only have the rear hidden part of the tank as a dsb?
Is it a case than better something than nothing? This would equate to approximately 0.15m2 of dsb, or 50% of the tank.
Also, my lfs does not have live sand. Where can I obtain enough to start this tanks dsb?
Will the egg crate also alow the deep sand bed to thrive with rocks on it?

Burrowers and deep sand beds...?
Now, if I make this work, would it be possible to slope the sand to the rear, and then cover all of it with egg crate. I then want to complete it by convering the egg crate with more above mentioned white sand around the perimeter, leaving 1-2 cm's (?) of sand above the crate for burrowing animals, thereby creating the best of both worlds? The sand at the rear bottom can not be disturbed by critters, whilst they can frollock and have fun in the front loose sand

I love diving overhangsand wrecks, thus creating a small overhang in my tank is a must for me. Would I be able to stack the rocks, then have an overhang 2/3rds the way up reaching to the forward glass of my tank, and stack more rock on top of that to keep it stable?
Will the weight of the rocks be enough for this to work, and would I be able to join the rocks with aquascape without drilling?
How much of the available light will this divert from the rocks below, and would I be able to place low light corals beneath it, or would the light be too low? Any ideas of how I can keep the dark side of the slope interesting and teaming with life?
The dead rock I found spent years in someone's tank, and look very good. Is this almost the same as live rock as my lfs guy said?

Well, that is that for now. I am leaving the in depth research of which marine animals to choose for when the tank is cycling, so there is plently of time for that. I would also like to keep it local, i.e. indian ocean, and I want to use my Indian Ocean Marine book to stock it. Local is mos lekker!

Any ideas, advice, whining?

I take it all on the chin

Cobus

I love diving overhangsand wrecks, thus creating a small overhang in my tank is a must for me. Would I be able to stack the rocks, then have an overhang 2/3rds the way up reaching to the forward glass of my tank, and stack more rock on top of that to keep it stable?
Will the weight of the rocks be enough for this to work, and would I be able to join the rocks with aquascape without drilling?
How much of the available light will this divert from the rocks below, and would I be able to place low light corals beneath it, or would the light be too low? Any ideas of how I can keep the dark side of the slope interesting and teaming with life?
The dead rock I found spent years in someone's tank, and look very good. Is this almost the same as live rock as my lfs guy said?
Hi,
the short of it, in a nano this will over shadow alot of the tank, while the idea sounds good, its not practical in a small tank, even in large tanks. the corals/sponges/turnicates you would need to keep are not for most, except die-hard experts or large tank, but if you willing it can work.

dead rock is fine, all rock will eventually be live rock anyway.

Hi,
the short of it, in a nano this will over shadow alot of the tank, while the idea sounds good, its not practical in a small tank, even in large tanks. the corals/sponges/turnicates you would need to keep are not for most, except die-hard experts or large tank, but if you willing it can work.

dead rock is fine, all rock will eventually be live rock anyway.

Thanks for the answer!

After considering your post above, I started looking at something in the line of http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2009Q1/IMG_3984.jpg

It will leave a nice sandy bottom, and enough space for corals and fish to swim, so no huge loss of space..

How would I go about doing this? Drill, cable ties, and a lot of inginuity?

C

image.jpg

i am going with this on my new build

kang-reef-aquascape.jpg

mr-kang-reef-aquarium.jpg

ive seen a local tank same design diferent coral :lol: ..... only issue is its damn pricey as complete structure is made of tonga branch only and for me,seeing the local 1 with softies etc,i think sps does it more justice,also the lfs in fishoek had exact scape FO system filled with beautifull triggers

Then you know exactly what I am talking about! Beautiful!

Soooo, how do I go about scaping it from live rock?

drilling rock, acrylic rods, aquamend and cable ties
loads of LR
with these scapes you need large, mine is for a 2500x1000, never tried on a small tank

never tried on a small tank

impossible to do on a small tank IMO tried and tested,in a small tank blue fiji works best u can be selective in the shape you choose,whilst in lfs take out a few pieces and do mock scaping like i did :lol: and wen i was happy,i took a pic so i could remember placements and then bought the rock,blue fiji always fits like giant puzle pieces,fun and easy and remarkable finishes

Thanks for the answer!

After considering your post above, I started looking at something in the line of http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2009Q1/IMG_3984.jpg

It will leave a nice sandy bottom, and enough space for corals and fish to swim, so no huge loss of space..

How would I go about doing this? Drill, cable ties, and a lot of inginuity?

C

That's a lovely idea for a scaping. I'd recommend using smaller pieces of rock, thinner and flatter so they can be balanced easier. Pratley putty and cable ties will make sure it stays together, and then join it to a heavy rock that will be able to provide the necessary support to the shelf.

I made a shelf similar to this with putty and cable ties (the outcrop on the right in the pic below). It is a bit unstable though because it is at the top of my rockwork and I do not have a decent counter weight on it - it is just balanced there. I have it angled in such a way that the light reached the rest of the corals, but directly underneath the overhang (in shadow) I don't have anything that grows very well.

DSCN0221.jpg

Where can I get such rods + aquamend?

u dnt need rods,they cost a bit more,but u can use pvc pice,and aquamend u get at any builders warehouse or hardware...brand name is "alcolin aquamend"

That's a lovely idea for a scaping. I'd recommend using smaller pieces of rock, thinner and flatter so they can be balanced easier. Pratley putty and cable ties will make sure it stays together, and then join it to a heavy rock that will be able to provide the necessary support to the shelf.

I made a shelf similar to this with putty and cable ties (the outcrop on the right in the pic below). It is a bit unstable though because it is at the top of my rockwork and I do not have a decent counter weight on it - it is just balanced there. I have it angled in such a way that the light reached the rest of the corals, but directly underneath the overhang (in shadow) I don't have anything that grows very well.

Great pic, thanks! I have the product names, and I'll attempt scaping something similar :thumbup:

There is a builders close to my lfs, so I'll get that en-route...

I'll scape it roughly at my lfs, and buy more than I initially require, and ask whether I can take some back for a refund.

I'll use your advice and scape the ledge close to the sand to reduce the top heavy issue, as well as the act that it would be difficult to grow something underneath'

Damn I'm excited!

Any other brilliant ideas?

u dnt need rods,they cost a bit more,but u can use pvc pice,and aquamend u get at any builders warehouse or hardware...brand name is "alcolin aquamend"

Wouldn't the hole in the pvc pipe create a haven for algae and bacteria? How does on use the pvc pipe to scape?

Wouldn't the hole in the pvc pipe create a haven for algae and bacteria? How does on use the pvc pipe to scape?

no you can close off ends with end caps or silicone and for extra effect u can rub a thin layer of silicone ove exposed pipe and sprinkle some aragonit over it,be sure to use aquarium silcone and it will give a nicer natural look

For a nano, rather go with the acrylic rods as dallas suggested. for the amount you need it wont cost alot at all.

acrylic rods may not hold the weight for suspended section,but for a nano yeah it can work,i suggested an easier option as pvc pipes are readily avail almost anywere and ive seen many builds using pvc pipes with great success,it may be an eyesore but once it matures algae will cover or else from start use the aragonite suggestion i stated above

here are some awesome nanos

DSC01940_edited.jpg

nano-tank-negative-aquascape.jpg

Back
Top Bottom