Fragging help needed.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a very large pin cushion in my 4ft that I need to cut up, I am wanting to cut a ring around the entire head. The problem now is that this coral has attached itself to 3 other rocks in the tank, there is no way I can take it out.

I have 2 options, either cut it in the tank or cut the whole coral off of the 3 rocks so that I can take it out to frag it.

I am leaning towards cutting it in the tank but I am a bit worried about it excessively sliming up and causing chaos in the tank. Does anybody think it will be ok to cut it in the tank?

how big is the section that you will physically cut?

from experience 3 weeks ago, dont do it in tank, you will need the following:
2 buckets each filled with tank water that can be discarded when done
after cutting leave them there for 30m or so.
Neil H has tons of experience doing this, particularly with leathers

Cut in the tank should be fine, Viper, as long as you run AC and some filterwool for a few hours afterwards.
Thanks JB

how big is the section that you will physically cut?
The head must be about 20cm's + in diameter and I want to cut off a ring around the entire head probably about 2cm's thick. Here is a pic of it...

14b150832a1a22.jpg

from experience 3 weeks ago, dont do it in tank, you will need the following:
2 buckets each filled with tank water that can be discarded when done
after cutting leave them there for 30m or so.
Neil H has tons of experience doing this, particularly with leathers
Damn, is it because of them sliming up afterwards?

yip, and they sulk big time, but lets see what neil says

personally I would not frag in tank, although with enough AC and filter floss and a very wet skimmer it can be done.

i would pull or cut off the leather from the 3 rocks, each piece on the rock will grow into a new pincusion

take the main leather out with its rock.

eiter frag it in a CLEAN cutting board (pref glass) OR in a bucket .... it will slime up hectically

remember to soak it in tank water for 30 mins (and throw this water away afterwards)

whatever shape you cut it in it will turn round in a few weeks

hope that helps

A little off topic...but WOW check those zoas at the bottom of the pin cushion there! Can we get a close up of them?

...the pin cushion is a beauty as well Viper, doesnt it break your heart to frag it?

personally I would not frag in tank, although with enough AC and filter floss and a very wet skimmer it can be done.

i would pull or cut off the leather from the 3 rocks, each piece on the rock will grow into a new pincusion

take the main leather out with its rock.

eiter frag it in a CLEAN cutting board (pref glass) OR in a bucket .... it will slime up hectically

remember to soak it in tank water for 30 mins (and throw this water away afterwards)

whatever shape you cut it in it will turn round in a few weeks

hope that helps
Thanks Neil, I think I'll take the long and dirty road and cut it off those 3 rocks. Thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

...the pin cushion is a beauty as well Viper, doesnt it break your heart to frag it?
I have to frag it, it's polyps are getting perilously close to being sucked into that pump and I don't want to move the pump because my flow is just right in the tank.
A little off topic...but WOW check those zoas at the bottom of the pin cushion there! Can we get a close up of them?
Here you go, 5 pics for you to choose from ;)

pic1
P1000905.jpg

pic 2
P1000903.jpg

pic 3
P1000904.jpg

pic 4
P1000902.jpg

pic 5
P1000910.jpg

Thanks Neil, I think I'll take the long and dirty road and cut it off those 3 rocks. Thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

I have to frag it, it's polyps are getting perilously close to being sucked into that pump and I don't want to move the pump because my flow is just right in the tank.

pic1
P1000905.jpg

pic 2
P1000903.jpg

pic 3
P1000904.jpg

pic 4
P1000902.jpg

pic 5
P1000910.jpg

Mmm nice!

Hi guys

I have a very large pin cushion in my 4ft that I need to cut up, I am wanting to cut a ring around the entire head. The problem now is that this coral has attached itself to 3 other rocks in the tank, there is no way I can take it out.

I have 2 options, either cut it in the tank or cut the whole coral off of the 3 rocks so that I can take it out to frag it.

I am leaning towards cutting it in the tank but I am a bit worried about it excessively sliming up and causing chaos in the tank. Does anybody think it will be ok to cut it in the tank?

Use the Queen of Hearts method: Off with its head, then do the fragging of the head in a separate container/aquarium.
Cut the head into pizza pieces, use a touch of iodine in the water, rinse and place pieces under a reasonable flow. After a few days put the pieces back into the main system if you like.

Use the Queen of Hearts method: Off with its head
:lol::lol::lol: That thought had crossed my mind Rod, but the thing is this coral is home to my pair of clowns and I wouldn't like to take that away from them, plus it looks nice so I just want to cut it a little bit :p

pic1
P1000905.jpg

pic 2
P1000903.jpg

pic 3
P1000904.jpg

pic 4
P1000902.jpg

pic 5
P1000910.jpg

That is a pity, although, dont you think if you just leave it when it does infact get big enough to reach the pump just cut that tip off?

Those zoas are even more amazing close up!! Pic 3 and 5 are my fav, you are lucky u guys can get such nice colours over there...I really need to try and get my sister to ship me some :p

I have similar problem. My leather is getting too big and is now showing signs of chemical warfare from the GSP and Hammer coral. I have looked at removing the rock, but there is no way as the coral is now attached to 4 separate pieces of the reef.

What would be the best way to do this:

Cut small sections, cut the entire coral at it's attachment point ?

What do I do with the frags, extra coral ? is there a market for these or do you give them away / discard ?

5284b3bedf9aac09.jpg

I have similar problem. My leather is getting too big and is now showing signs of chemical warfare from the GSP and Hammer coral. I have looked at removing the rock, but there is no way as the coral is now attached to 4 separate pieces of the reef.

What would be the best way to do this:

Cut small sections, cut the entire coral at it's attachment point ?

What do I do with the frags, extra coral ? is there a market for these or do you give them away / discard ?

5284b3bedf9aac09.jpg

Tagging along

I also have 2 small pincushions that need to be moved. They on a rock with mushrooms. Do you think they will cause chemical warefare? If so should i just cut the base and glue it to another rock? also what glue should i use or should i let it re-attach by itself.

go ahead and cut it in tank...i have done this with my pincushion and my tree corals in the past...simply use a scissor and snip a few pieces away....after a day or so the corals opens up perfectly and lo and behold the pieces you cut start growing into new little corals and regrow their shape:)

don't worry about the slimming,corals slime much more everyday then we know...just run some carbon and filter floss IF you want to be cautious but i did not and no ill effects.:)

warr you can swop them or sell the frags....generally i found my mushrooms and pincushion and sinularia to be able to touch each other without any warfare so dont move them unless you actually see visible signs of warfare.

Back
Top Bottom