Frag Growing Tank

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best setup/configuration for a small frag tank? I want to get some frags but, most of them are very tiny (1" x 1" or one eye, etc) and before I place them in my display tank, I would like to get them a little bigger.

I have a 2' x 2' x 1' deep tank that I want to use. Now what do I need to put in it besides a heater, power head(s) for circulation, and a 1" sand bottom? I've also got some egg create to lift the off the bottom of the tank. Also tell me about water parameters and feeding.

Thanks,

Best advice i'd give is to look at the display tanks in the lfs, they are usually shallow, with reasonable circulation, feeding does tend to depend on the type of coral but most will just use the light source, but some phyto or similar occasionally would help

A 150w halide mounted about 18 inches above the tank, you can adjust the lights down if you need to.

Mike, I've already got a 250W MH dual light thaqt I thought I would run just one of the fixtures for the frag tank. I'll get some photos up some time today.

Mike, I've already got a 250W MH dual light thaqt I thought I would run just one of the fixtures for the frag tank. I'll get some photos up some time today.

Raise it up, all the lfs i have been to don't go crazy with lighting.

Hi Greg... your set-up sounds fine except that I'd ditch the 1" of sand. If you want a sand bed for this tank, use a remote DSB. Regarding lighting, I agree with Mike's advice... i.e. I'd suggest you go easy on the light and keep MHs at least 18in off the surface of the water (just to protect from frying everything).

Cheers,
Sara

Last edited:
I think T5 lighting for this kind of frag tank is not a bad idea (since it's only 1' deep). However, if possible, I'd go with a little more wattage than the fixture you linked to on MD... maybe 4 bulbs instead of 2 (especially since you say the tank is 2' wide).

I haven't been light fixture shopping in a long time... but basically I would suggest something like what you linked to but just a little "bigger" (i.e. more bulbs). Or, maybe if there's room, two of those fixtures...

Are the T-5's better than the PC's?

Actually they are pretty much the same thing, A power compact is essentially just T5 folded back onto itself;)

Actually they are pretty much the same thing, A power compact is essentially just T5 folded back onto itself;)

Ditto... was about to say the same. Thanks Kanga... ;)

i used the baffles in my sump ( the 2 baffles that i used to create the compartment for the DSB) and just placed an under gravel filter( you can use anything else) on the baffles , this gives me space to create a mini frag compartment just above the DSB, but without disturbing it.will try to post a pic for you

cheers

Back
Top Bottom