Foxface sudden death

Reaction score
I have had my foxface for four years now and yesterday it died suddenly.He ate from my hands as normal and I went out.When I came home it was dead.It's mouth open and it had a terrified look.It wasn't even stiff when I took it out.The only sign that made me look closer was that a hermit was attached to it.All the other fish ae fine incl my Vermiculated angel.The foxface showed no signs of distress.It also had no signs of physical injury.I am puzzled and devastated.Any Ideas what may of happened.

If anyone gives you any ideas on what might have caused this please let me know, I have just lost three fish the same way, with the same signs!!

That reminds me pretty much of my goldie. I've never seen a dead fish looking like that. No signs, just died over night and in the morning this weird look, his mouth wide open.

I'm really sorry for your losses. Gee thats scary. One in Durbs and two in Cape Town. Marcel you normally have the answer for these perculiar things. Have you guys introduced any new fish at all?

I'm really sorry for your losses. Gee thats scary. One in Durbs and two in Cape Town. Marcel you normally have the answer for these perculiar things. Have you guys introduced any new fish at all?

I never paid any attention to the goldies death, but when I read this thread the picture of his open mouth came back into my mind. I never expected that somebody else experienced the same kind of loss. Creepy story. Would like to fimd out more.

Fish can die from very many varied things if there are no outward signs , there has to be an internal sign but if you cut a fish up to autopsy you need to know what to look for, it could be sudden lack of oxygen due to a bloom(red tide type), poisoning,organ failure, internal fungus, internal infection, fatty liver disease etc etc.

If other fish are healthy and your water parameters are fine , you have to consider that this fish had something internal that failed, or because you are not aware of its actual age(time in captivity + time it hatched from an actual egg) it died from old age

Last edited:
i too thought it can be old age,coz u never know how old the fish is that u had.
how big was the foxface?
Could be heart attack coz those guys get scared very quick and for any little thing they go crazy

Perhaps when the main MH lights went off he spooked and knocked himself senseless and then died due to not breathing properly.Maybe just had heart failure.I get that look on my face of shock and awe when my bond needs paying.I hop me next Foxface gets as tame.

Back
Top Bottom