Flat Worms Invasion

ml

Reaction score
Hi
I have a flat worm invasason in my tank and I don't know what to do and I really don't want to redo my whole tank over again
Thanks
ML.

Last edited by a moderator:
6-line wrasse and a bannana wrasse sould I think
Much better then only one ine the tank
Probleem NO STOCK at sterlig

Mornè

11454a4c7fcc67bbc.jpg

Here is were problem is.

Hi Ml

The wrasses mentioned will work if you can find them , mandarins have also been known to eat them (sometimes).

Salifert makes a product called flatworm exit

you can also siphon them off by attaching a old stocking or filter bag to the end of clear tube & start a siphon....they will end up in the bag and the water will run into the sump

everything i have read suggests that the number of worms is the most alarming thing for the aquarist but very little damage is done by them and they subsequently die back due to a lack of food, i have looked for the article but cant seem to find it ATM. still its a good excuse to get a fish:whistling:

Hi
I have a flat worm invasason in my tank and I don't know what to do and I really don't want to redo my whole tank over again
Thanks
ML[/quote]
I saw that tank at the above LFS it's scary, the enter substance is covered in flat worms. When did you get live stock from them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ml

The wrasses mentioned will work if you can find them , mandarins have also been known to eat them (sometimes).

Salifert makes a product called flatworm exit

you can also siphon them off by attaching a old stocking or filter bag to the end of clear tube & start a siphon....they will end up in the bag and the water will run into the sump
#
Don't buy flat worm exit - it is too good and can cause a serious ammonia spike in your tank, just cut down on food and syphon as much detritus/flat worms out of your tank.

I saw that tank at the above LFS it's scary, the enter substance is covered in flat worms. When did you get live stock from them?
No not a fish but a rock full of muchrooms but I will see to it that we all fix the tank.

Mornè

everything i have read suggests that the number of worms is the most alarming thing for the aquarist but very little damage is done by them and they subsequently die back due to a lack of food, i have looked for the article but cant seem to find it ATM. still its a good excuse to get a fish:whistling:

You are correct. It is best to siphon as many as you can out of the water and cut back on food. Get yourself a filter sock, siphon them out through the sock, putting the same water back into the tank. Do this over and over and over again until you get the problem pretty much under control. The Flatworm Exit will work, but when the flatworms die they release a toxin. So if you have a lot, your asking for trouble by killing them all at once. So siphoning as many as you can is best. You will want to do a decent water change after using this product and run carbon to protect your livestock from the released toxins.

I also don't like to use chemicals to kill them because I believe it is going to mess up your beneficial bacteria. Flatworm Exit may also need to be repeated because (to my knowledge) it does not kill the unhatched eggs.

"Flatworm exit"
Where to buy this, because I looked at work to day and we don't stock it.

Morne

It is a great product when used as part of your quarantine process, before your corals go into your display tank.

"Flatworm exit"
Where to buy this, because I looked at work to day and we don't stock it.

Morne

Bit late to use it - not for use in a reef environment;)

I have see reefer with large tank and with thousands of dollars rare live stock here in So. California who have used the product and it work, and like i said follow the instruction carefully have the siphon hose to suck out the dead and dying and have water ready for water change, in the end its all up to you.

You are correct. Many have used this product without any losses to fish and coral. However, it does affect the beneficial bacteria. I've also seen it kill hundreds of the mini brittlestars that are beneficial to our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom