Urgent help needed Flame Angel not eating

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need some advice from the experts....
I bought a flame yesterday and I am struggling to get him to feed.
It's admittedly only the second day, but I do not want this to go on much longer.

I have unsuccessfully tried frozen mysis, marine mix, lobster eggs, flakes and some nori. I lost an angel some 6 months ago and I do not want this one to go the same way. :( The previous angel was, however, harassed by a lemon peel.

The dominant regal tang in the DT is slightly aggressive towards him.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Need some advice from the experts....
I bought a flame yesterday and I am struggling to get him to feed.
It's admittedly only the second day, but I do not want this to go on much longer.

I have unsuccessfully tried frozen mysis, marine mix, lobster eggs, flakes and some nori. I lost an angel some 6 months ago and I do not want this one to go the same way. :( The previous angel was, however, harassed by a lemon peel.

The dominant regal tang in the DT is slightly aggressive towards him.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

Only advice is ether have the fish feeding well in a QT tank before adding to your reef or make sure it is feeding at the store before you take it home, If I were you I would remove it, put him in a QT tank ( simple 2foot tank with heater and small power head with ventury) and alow him to start eating without being harrased by any other fish.

Trev

Only advice is ether have the fish feeding well in a QT tank before adding to your reef or make sure it is feeding at the store before you take it home, If I were you I would remove it, put him in a QT tank ( simple 2foot tank with heater and small power head with ventury) and alow him to start eating without being harrased by any other fish.

Trev
Thanks Trev, will try to do just that.

I just hope that I do not stress him too much when I attempt to catch him!

Same issue here with a flame bought from one of the sponsors :p

He ate his first bit this morning, piece of brine. However i had been watching him and he nips non stop at the rocks and glass for algae i imagine. So not to confuse you more, if he was in an established display tank with enough mature rock around him he would still be ok, but yes would need to eat the food you put in also... Try some of the garlic enriched foods to entice him

Thanks Trev, will try to do just that.

I just hope that I do not stress him too much when I attempt to catch him!

Great you will have a much better result with him in a seperate QT tank, just do about a 10% daily water change, once he is eating well give him another 3-5 days of heavy feeding then he should be ready to go back into the tank and will have enough reserves to last though the agression which will come. But if you want to take it a step further look at using a aclimation box ( clear plastic box ) to hold him in while the other fish get used to him and it will minimize the agression. If you do that you can also do the 3-5 days of heavy feeding in the box, Use water from your tank in the QT tank and for water changes that way you dont have to re-acclimate him to your display tanks water conditions.

Trev

Hi Costa I had a similar problem with my Rusty angel, my maroon clown kept on beating him up when I fed them, he wouldn't give the Rusty a chance to eat. As I didn't have a QT setup, I place the food in the last / return chamber of my sump so that the return pump blast the food in the main display. This messed a bit but it gave the Rusty a change to get something to eat and he became more confident. After a week or so he was eating fine and I could feed them normally again.

Back
Top Bottom