Fish Id?

Reaction score
Hi evry1 - me again received this mms from my buddy in Durbs - does n e body know what fish this is was bought from a pet shop in Chats Centre - wants to know if i would like him when i go to durbs this weekend then he can keep him for me? Thanx
14844962e81f2ecea.jpg

really wouldnt know mekaeel - i got involved with this hobby and handling all these fishy meats for the pets food but a born vegetarian! No meat fish chicken eggs - so if it is a grunter ill have to look for a seafood outlook to cook him - he he

Mekaeel has it 100% SPOT ON Chikaboo....
Only thing with this fish - it is a predator.... in the same class as the lion fish....
Once again - same advice goes for this fish - see if you can get it to eat frozen foods.... if so, then by all means.
Just take into account that the spotted grunter becomes HUGE! (50cm)....

LOL i spotted him and thought Dinner....or running trace, prawn bait, pushing tide, durban beach, mekaeel for company darn fine catch! :)

but personally in a tank? I wouldnt go near it. not if i had a huge tank and wanted a local single fish display.......or ran the oceanarium in cpt! he is predatory and will grow fast, is not tank friendly and best left in the tidal zone or estuary

lol @ Crispin :lol:
Jacques slight correction, they attain 80 cm, and once in the oven with tomatoes, onions, green chillies and black pepper, it makes a meal and a half :p

how would you know, u reading record books again...i thought your personal best was 35cm......or is that just the average size u catch:) i see the indian in you likes chillies, smoking hot like a three chillie samosa:)

how would you know, u reading record books again...i thought your personal best was 35cm......or is that just the average size u catch:) i see the indian in you likes chillies, smoking hot like a three chillie samosa:)
Errrm yes :p
What the hell is a three chillie samosa?

lol, fair point, but point is, id rather have a three chillie samosa than a grunter in my tank, and thats got nothing to do with toilet noises! :)

Hi evry1 - me again received this mms from my buddy in Durbs - does n e body know what fish this is was bought from a pet shop in Chats Centre - wants to know if i would like him when i go to durbs this weekend then he can keep him for me? Thanx

Yup, that looks like a spotted grunter i used to catch them in Knysna.
LMAO!!! good to braai!! does it have large pink lips from the front?
if it is it is definitely a predator, it eats crabs,shrimp etc...THEY GROW HUGE!!

Thanks for the correction Mekaeel! OK - my copy of "Sea Fishes of South Africa" is old ;)

AND: I must be a HUGE part indian - I just LOVE LOVE LOVE my chillies! And Tabasco! I don't SKIP ANY meals without them! :)

ok guys stop making fun of me (just kidding) i rather ask before i sit with another problem like my devil damsel which by the way is still very happy in the sump! And the others also seem to b happier without him in the tank! also the guys r coming 2morrow to put in the aircon in the lounge which should help with the tanks temp coz i c the tanks temp the past few days rising to 26/27 degrees - mayb the fish will b happier!

Thanks for the correction Mekaeel! OK - my copy of "Sea Fishes of South Africa" is old ;)

AND: I must be a HUGE part indian - I just LOVE LOVE LOVE my chillies! And Tabasco! I don't SKIP ANY meals without them! :)
lol and im not the type that's really fond of chillies and spicy food. I occasionally have strong food. :err:

hi guys i know its wierd part of the hour but is this not a
moz-screenshot.jpg

Gold-spotted Sweetlips
Plectorhinchus flavomaculatus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom