Fish are smarter than us

Reaction score
Why do I say that fish are smarter than us? Well think about it, we as 2 legged beings can go forward, backward and from side to side. Fish can do that too, but they can also go up and down, and they can do that just by thinking about it and barely moving a fin. If we get up in the middle of the night because we hear a noise or are thinking about that Victoria Secret catalog on the table (not that we would look at something like that, I am just using that as an example and I know if you ever did look at it, it would purely be for research) But whatever the reason, we would run into walls, doors, windows and the lucky few of us may run into a beautiful cat burgler. But a fish would not run (or swim) into anything. Why? Because they have a lateral line that lets them know what is around them even in pitch darkness. Ever wonder why you could never catch a fish by chasing it with a net? If someone ran after you with a net, I bet they would catch you.
Everybody here who has a lateral line raise your hand, Higher. Thats what I thought.
Fish can do something else that "most" of us can't do. They can change sex. Then, if they get bored, they can change back. If we do that, it is very painful, (I would imagine) only works one time, is very expensive and leaves scars, (I think anyway, not that I know anything about that or am judging anyone)
I have some fireclown fish, well I had one for a long time and I decided to get another one.
That first one was either male or female, I have no idea, But then again I rode the Long Island Railroad for 40 years and many times I wasn't sure if I was next to a man or woman, but I digress. This fireclown sat there in a broken bottle for years and just looked out the glass at me. He (or she)kept guard over a nest and he would keep it neat, blow away detritus along with arrow crab poop. And there wasn't even another fireclown for, Oh I don't know 15 miles (I am guessing) Then one day I added another fireclown and they both fought. I don't know if they both thought of themselves as boys, girls or politicians, but then after a few years they started becoming friends, then they were more then friends if you know what I mean. So one of them became a female. Now I don't know what posessed that one to change into a female but I do remember walking in front of the tank in my underware, I don't know if that would have caused the transformation, my wife just tells me to get away from in front of the TV.
So fish are not as stupid as we think. If you had no thumbs to hold a pencil, how well do you think you would do on standardized tests?
Fish can do many things that we can't do. If we put some food in the tank, they will find it right away, I can't even find anything my wife puts in the refrigerator.
If a fish loses an eye, he barely notices and goes about his life as if he just had Lazac surgery. They get along fine just by relying on their lateral line. Fish don't even have to sleep, if we go like 3 days with out sleep we start halucinating about Paris Hilton or worse, her dog, but if you leave the lights on, a fish will just stay awake and, Oh I don't know, think about changing sex.
Another wierd thing about fish is that tropical fish for the most part are beautifully colored, why is that? Is it to attract a mate? to scare predators? to look good in magazines? No. Why? because where fish live the only color you can see is blue. If you decend down in the ocean about 40' everything becomes blue because blue is the only color of the srectrum that gets through that much water. (It is either 30' 40' or something like that, I am a diver but I never take a rueller with me and I forgot the depth that colors disappear, work with me)
So all fish appear blue in the sea. A copperband butterfly would be blue with darker blue bands, and red appears black. (I got a moray eel story with blood and all so if you didn't hear it, remind me) So their color is a mystery. The fish probably know why they have those colors but no one else does.
Also while we are seriously thinking about this, why do fish from temperate (or cold water) have drab colors?
Ever see a bright red or blue flounder with yellow stripes? I didn't think so, but why? I don't know but I bet you never thought about it. I did.
Why are there no copperband butterflies in Florida? You would think with all the bilge water from ships some of them would get here as invasive species. But no, what do we get for invasive species? Snakeheads that eat everything imaginable, carp, that invaded every river, stream, brook, lake, sink, bathtub and coffee pot everywhere in the world. Those things could live on a damp sponge. Zebra mussles that clog pipes and taste like snot, Japanese shore crabs that invaded every square inch of coastline on the eastern US, lionfish that are eating all the small native fish. So why can't we get invasive copperband butterflies, square anthias, sailfin tangs, bangai cardinals, Swedish massage therapists?
This is just one more thing I don't know. There is a whole plethora of things I don't know. An unimaginal vast expanse of knowledge I don't posess. I mean we could go on about what is at the end of the universe and we would all have different opinions, sort of like ich threads. I think at the end of the universe is a brick wall with tar paper on top of it, and beyond that are strawberry fields forever. Prove me wrong.
I guess we should save some room for your thoughts and then we could start on why invertabrates are smarter than we are.
I took this in Tahiti in maybe 60' of water. Notice how all those beautiful corals are blue as well as that Moorish Idol at the bottom and even the sharks. If you shine a light on them they become colorful
Guppies.jpg

Notice where the light is hitting that there is color, look at the lack of colors where the light does not hit. This was the same reef with a flash
LongNose.jpg

The fish probably know why they have those colors but no one else does.
I know I know...

actually 2 possible explanations.

Fish that hides in coral reefs do need some camouflage to hide from predators. No point in being a silver colour in a brightly coloured world. Easier to blends in.

Another is to find a mate. If the fish comes out and swims above and about the reef, it is easier and quicker for a possible mate to see and recognize him or her. And either to show itself as a possible mate or to chase away the intruder if the same sex.

Fish that hides in coral reefs do need some camouflage to hide from predators. No point in being a silver colour in a brightly coloured world. Easier to blends in.

Maybe it's me but I don't understand this explanation. No colors except blue extend down very far. A fish like a royal gramma is red and yellow but it is a deep water fish and it's colors will never be seen except by us after it is in a tank. Many fish never come anywhere the surface so they will spend their entire lifs being blue. So why are they brightly colored? It makes them easy prey if they go to the surface. Also why don't their potential mates like the color blue?

i agree with you paul...but maybe the colour limitation is in our eye design, maybe in deep waters there are colours for fish eyes....

i have been to 54m and seen colour during the day :)

Also why don't their potential mates like the color blue?
well, if all angels were blue, it would make it more difficult even to the fish to quickly and at a distance to be sure that it could be a possible mate.

How can I put it?
Say you walk into a colourful bar. With 101 blondes in there, all Paris Hilton lookalikes, look like clones. But you do not want a blonde. You are a redhead and you want a redhead. Quick glance, you see nothing, and rather order a couple of beers. No point in trying even to impress any of the clones. In walk a red head lady. You jump up, suck stomach in, chest out, stand straight, no slouching over the bar drunkenly. She must see you.... You do the robot dance...She notice you... Its love at first sight... Mating dance... Mission accomplished...

...but maybe the colour limitation is in our eye design, maybe in deep waters there are colours for fish eyes....

No it's not that. For you to see color, that color has to be present and reflecting off the object you are trying to see. Colors in daylight do not penetrate very far down in the sea. Each color disappears at a certain depth because it gets filtered out by the water.

RiaanP, although I don't understand that explanation, I love explanations that have anything to do with blonde's, redheads, Babes, bars etc. :thumbup:

I have no answer, but enjoy this thread :Dand RiaanP your explanation, you sound like a young lad writing a love letter for the first time to a grill. Brilliant.:slayer:

Haha lol lol lol that is one funny explanation @RiaanP You must have been good at creative writing when you were in school:tt2::)

Last edited by a moderator:
Riaan a fish psychologist?

Riaan we need more evolution lessons like this! All fishes were blue then the one got some color and got lucky more often, the rest is history. I really enjoyed your analogy Riaan, owe you a :peroni: when I finally meet you one day!! I love the teaching you do in terms I can understand.

Back
Top Bottom