First timer...marine keeper

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have recently decide to convert my jewel 180 to marine..The tank is current at Wazeers Aquariums getting all the necessary mods...

I have read quite a few post with regards to starting up for beginner's.

The tank will have crush coral and 8 kgs live rock on start up...and will be running/cycling for 6 weeks before anything else is done...

Please share tips and advise on the best way forward...

I have attached a picture of the tank before it went, will update as soon as the tank is back

20150214_174341.jpg

Hello and welcome Nunzo
Yip, skip the crush corals and rather go for something finer that will not trap detritus that easily.

Welcome! All of the best. There are a lot of guys here that are very eager to help. So if you are uncertain about anything, ask, ask and ask some more!

I had a juwel, so i feel obliged to help :p. you can grab a juwel skimmer that sits in the main tank, grab some new filter media for the canister filter and grab some marine bulbs, and boom, it's marine. remember. silicone that skimmer to the glass or you'll hate it not staying in place unless a rock is leaning on it. account for sand depth when doing this

it's the 240l in my signature if you want to see how mine progressed :p

Thanks Keegz001.. I saw the jewel skimmer on the net after I sent the tank for the mods.

I will be using a TS1 skimmer in the custom built sump would that be fine...

With regards to the lighting can I just change the globes, or should go for a beam works led lighting system

update 1...

Here's some updated pics...

Tomorrow will be adding water and some live rock...

Then for a 6 week cycle period...

Getting somewhere :biggrin:

1425569701615.jpg

20150305_173708.jpg

Getting there yes. Remove the ceramic rings in the sump, going to be a nitrate factory after a while...

Thanks Keegz001.. I saw the jewel skimmer on the net after I sent the tank for the mods.

I will be using a TS1 skimmer in the custom built sump would that be fine...

With regards to the lighting can I just change the globes, or should go for a beam works led lighting system

That is perfect :D, better infact. either works, i ran mine on t5 and it grew fine...

update 2....

Water in...lights on....and a few live rock

2 wave makers...

will be adding a little more live rock 2moro

Now just the waiting period...

20150306_184133.jpg

Back
Top Bottom