First Tank Advise And Fish Wanted

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I have a new 100 l tank, my first saltwater tank.
It currently has 2kg live rocks in it and live sand and is completely set up with lights, filter and the works, it has also already cycled and Idol Marine was a great help with that process, but now I need fish.....

My salinity is sitting at 1.026...

I would like to add another 3kg live rock, which I will be fetching this weekend. :thumbup:

I would also like to have two common clowns, two starfish, a goby and a seahorse. :biggrin:

Will this be alright for the size tank I have?

Also, if anyone in the Pretoria or Jo'burg area has frags for me, that are good for a beginner, please tell me, I want a pretty tank... :blush:

I also see that seahorses are not legal, but tank bred ones are, so where can I find one? :m87:

What types of starfish are the best? I see that there are ones that sit on the sand, and ones that sit on the glass...

I also have five brittle starfish that I can see, I have seen one brittle worm and a grayish/brown worm and also tiny little shrimp with two white dots on their backs. They are all thinner than a piece of my hair, are any of them a problem? I hear biodiversity in a saltwater tank is good, but if that stuff was in my tropical tanks, I would freak out. :m33:

Thanks for any help I get, I really appreciate it.

Welcome to MASA!
Post some pics of your tank.

Seahorses need special tanks to themselves with lots of pods and macro algae as hitching posts. No corals.

It won't survive in a reef tank environment. Especially if it's only eating live foods.

Seahorse

Okay, so no seahorse.
I can live with that.

I will post pictures of my tank tomorrow.

Any other good beginner fish? I hear emerald crabs are pretty cool, but I obviously only know what I have read or been told, so I do not have a lot of knowledge here.

Thank you so much for telling me about the seahorse.

No problem. Emerald crabs are cool. They eat algae, if there isn't enough algae in your tank then you can feed him seaweed (nori)

If you want clowns, get designer clowns. They're just a but different than having your standard 'nemos'. They can be expensive though.

Maybe look at fairy and flasher wrasses. Maybe a Possum wrasse. They're great little fish.

Royal gramma, clown goby, prawn goby. Just throwing some names out there. You can research and decide what you want.

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums is a great website. Maybe look under the nano fish section.
Here's the link
Nano Fish

Thanks

Thank you so very much, you have been stupendously helpful.

After I put in my next lot of live rock, I will be looking for some designer clowns to be the first in the tank. I will post pictures of the tank now as well.

This is my tank, currently.

I will be adding as I go.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Sump

Yes, it is running sump less, but I am doing 25% water changes weekly using water that is collected from Idol Marine. He ran a tank in this set up for 3 years, and budget for a sump is non-existent right now...

I will add one later, once I want more fish or can't self-maintain it. I also have treatments that I am going to add, but haven't even read them thus far.

Maybe get a hob (hang on back) skimmer. Maybe a reef octopus bh-1000.

If I was you I'd remove the fake stuff, the plant and skull. But it's your tank so you choose how it looks. :m106:.

What lights do you have in the hood?

I'd leave the skull...will look good with zoas growing on it, maybe q Kenya tree or similar growingout an eye
Maybe replace the fake plants with macro algae, it will look similar and help with nutrient export

Thanks a bunch.

In all honesty, I don't remember what light I have, I threw the boxes away, but Idol Marine, again, told my fiancé what to get.... As stated, Idol Marine was a life saver for us...

The skimmer apparently isn't 100% necessary at this stage in the tank, so I was only going to get one in a few months, do I really need one now?

He also said I should get a clam, but they are so expensive, is there anywhere I can find them cheaper?

The fake plants will come out on Saturday, and I think I will leave the skull in, and I am getting a frag from someone on here, I forgot what the frag is, but it's a light purple/pink color...

Hum, also, I found a grey starfish as well, the size of my pinky nail, he has really short stubby legs. Is he a danger to anything in my tank?

You really don't need a clam. They are one of the more difficult corals / invertebrates. They need high lighting and stable parameters. Really don't know why he would suggest that you get one.

You don't need a skimmer now. But it's always nice to get it dialed in and running before you add livestock.

By the way, if you're adding uncured / Liverock that hasn't been in a tank with a heater and a flow pump or has been outside your tank will cycle each time you add rock.

Maybe take a pic of the starfish and lights.

Judging by the light in the tank, do I need something brighter? We were told to get this one, but as stated, I have no idea what it is, other than it is a sunlight bulb...

It looks a bit on the yellow side, you'll get a bit if algae growth. Do you know the kelvin rating if the bulb?

Is it long and thin? Or lots of small LEDs?

It looks like a normal long fluorescent bulb, pictures are coming, they are taking a while to upload, slow internet, the starfish picture is coming too, I can't take a picture of the brown worm though, he is missing in action.

Thanks for all the help I received, I actually did a lot of asking around about the lighting I needed, and will be replacing that this weekend. Thank you so very much.

Yep

Looking forward to the pictures. A sump will make your life much easier.

Haha, I knew it would be easier from the beginning, it was more budget, but I got a great deal on a hang on overflow and a sump, so now it's going in. Yay! I will post pictures once it is set up, but I need more live rock, to put in my tank, as the live rock that was in there is now in my sump, except for the ones with frags... The hermit is using the skull to hide now. Haha. :peroni:

Reactions: NJH
Back
Top Bottom