first sps

Reaction score
Hi I got my first sps coral a monti frag on friday didn't realise it was an sps at the time. I know should have checked first anyway I got it home and acclimatised it over about an hour then placed it at the highest place in my rock work.

I'm just concerned now I might not have enough lighting for it. I have 2x54W t5's and 2x 36w t8's which are about 5-8cm above the water level and the monti is siting about 10cm below the water level directly below the t5'swill this be enough for it.

Ive been doing some reading and from what I understand montis are one of the easier more forgiving sps corals to keep but just need to know if I need to let one of my mates babysit it till I get some better lights or if it will survive in my current setup

hi mupwi your lighting sound's sufficient Monti's don't require very intense lights
just make sure you calcium magnesium and alk are within range including phosphates and nitrates ,generally monti's will survive with higher phosphates and nitrates but wont colour up properly

hi mupwi your lighting sound's sufficient Monti's don't require very intense lights
just make sure you calcium magnesium and alk are within range including phosphates and nitrates ,generally monti's will survive with higher phosphates and nitrates but wont colour up properly
Agree 100%. As long as you replace your T5's yearly you should be fine. It would be a good idea to think about changing the T8's to T5's at some stage, it would be much better for your corals in the long run.

I have seen that there is a lot of push for t5 over t8 why is this I was going to put in more t8's as I worked out I could get about 4 or more times the lumens for the same price granted I would have to use 1.5x as many tubes so space might become a problem what other advantage is there to t5?

Back
Top Bottom