First Post on MASA

Welcome Craig, stunning tank you've got there.

Sorry about the problem with posting links, it's a restriction we have in place to try and stop the spammers. You should be fine to post links and pics now. :)

Thanks

Thanks all for the great welcome..Thanks for the heads up Viper. Cheers & :peroni:

Some Livestock Pics

Just trying out posting images
42354d104817ad4fd.jpg
42354d104840f2eaf.jpg
42354d10485eed491.jpg

went past craigs place today.....these pics dont do your setup any justice:tt2:

when i say this guys corals are thriving.....i mean they are really, really happy

craig...take some pics of your home made wave maker / oscilating mechanism

DIY Panning Powerheads

Thanks for the kind words and help with the Skimmer Marco.

I have found that I seem to get much better polyp extension on my LPS since installing my DIY Panning powerheads. This gives a really nice 2 way alternating flow, and seems more natural.. I could not justify the expense of top end wavemakers, which, when seen on videos, appears un-natural (too fast)..Not sure if i'm wrong here, but in order to generate the resonance to make waves in a small tank, the frequency seems quite high. I wanted a slow surge, without the noise od a surge bin etc.. Hence my el cheapo Panning powerheads.

Took 2 x 5000l/h 220v heads, removed suction cups & drilled holes to accept 316 stainless steel welding rod, bent into an L shape crank. Mounted 2 x teflon blocks in cover, holding ssteel rods, and housed the synchronous motor from an old microwave in an old tupperware. Cut a perspex disk, glue to gear on motor, and mount a ssteel screw to power 2 x plastic arms going to each power Head. The size of your disc dictates the panning speed as well as range of motion. This enables your powerheads to silently pan in opposite directions, pausing at each end, then panning back, crossing each other causing turbulence...

I have attached some pics below...a bit rough at the moment as still a prototype...Thought this may give a few ideas to fellow reefers ...Sum Total--2 x PHs at approx R180 each.

Cheers
42354d10b16bc462a.jpg

42354d10b185c9c1e.jpg

42354d10b1a281829.jpg

These guys seem to love it!
42354d10b1d321caa.jpg

42354d10b1e87a2a8.jpg

Very clever idea. How long have the welding rods been in the tank, any signs of rust at all?

hi viper

about 3 months.. only a small residue on cut ends..has formed an oxide and gone no further.. i did remove to check rods, and not even pitted... time will tell. other option is tough plastic..

Welcome to MASA - nice tank you got. Is the nennie new? I see it is a bit bleached. Are you feeding it?

Not bleached, heteractis crispa do come in white and purple tips, coralide.com has a few pics and liveaquaria I think
Posted via Mobile Device

Could be, just looked bleached to me as I'm used to the green and red ones

Heteractis have a natural white one, had one almost a year
Posted via Mobile Device

Gbta

I think it looks washed out in the photo, but much richer green in real life. Could be, as not sure what it was exposed to between sea and LFS..is this not Entacmaea Quadricolor?? I am feeding it hake pieces twice a week. Grabs these & swallows them immediately...Looks pretty happy and only moved once, until it found this nice overhang, with its foot deep in a crevice.

Would be keen to hear from others if it looks bleached? Here is another pic..more natural lighting
42354d10f857d2da1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey and welcome to MASA! You have an AMAZING tank:thumbup::thumbup:

looks like a GBTA to me for sure !!

I think it could be bleached although it looks much greener in the second pic so possibly the pics playing tricks on us here.

I would vary the diet, lance fish are very good, i generally feed mine some of the PnP seafood mix (uncooked of course) and so it gets a bit of everything, mussel calamari, hake etc and seems to LOVE everything i give it !

Back
Top Bottom