Fiji live rock, you sure??

Oh kenya LR has large pores and very large permiabilities which dont continue past the surface of the rock so alot less effective surface area are safety for bacteria.

The blue LR depends, the actual heliopora skeleton, awesome, aragnoite, extreme porosity and the desired low permiability. but remember the blue is skeleton and not rock, the rock usually on it or encrusted is similar to kenyan with only the outer surface accessible and no interconnected pores developed through the rock nicely if at all.

Its these basic yet crucial points we need to know about and understand to avoid potentially useless base rock and live rock purchases and pick intelligently

So my question is this:

Is Kenya rock not worth the money? It seems to be more compact than Fiji.

noooooooo, not by a long shot in my opinion but I cant really suggest any alternatives, lemme have a look at my private collection

kak, nope sorry all packed. Very difficult concept to actually fully explain it seems but I hope you are all learning something at least

I did. I need to buy LR for a new TL I just started.
Was thinking to get the "cheaper" stuff.
After this I am not sure what to get

I did. I need to buy LR for a new TL I just started.
Was thinking to get the "cheaper" stuff.
After this I am not sure what to get

Didnt mean to have that result, my bad, just quite far where this has gone to as I didnt think anyone would understand, but hopefully you know what will be the most effective cost wise, especially in a small system where you do not have space to waste.

Lemme have a look around for rock available, Its the least i can do.

Thanks bud. When are you at the aquarium again?
I really would love a behind the scene tour. Wink Wink

Some other thoughts to this interesting read.

Porosity is not the only consideration as mentioned. Material type is also important. IMO.

Calcium carbonate surfaces tend to bind PO4. Ceramic surfaces do not. Thoughts on the different surfaces.

Some other thoughts to this interesting read.

Porosity is not the only consideration as mentioned. Material type is also important. IMO.

Calcium carbonate surfaces tend to bind PO4. Ceramic surfaces do not. Thoughts on the different surfaces.

just to clarify to readers, I am leaving the hobby and even though i have these thoughts and concerns, I did not exactly run an award winning reef or have a secret rock i was using so im not sitting here critisizing you about the choice as i was using very dense crap rock which was the classic reef look with actual skeletons, but the clay and mudstone had virtually destroyed the porosity and the rock was a staggering 2.1g/cm cubed in density which is bad, a granite is a solid rock with a 2.7c/cm3 so far from ideal but looked the part, had me fooled so I am raising all these issues in concern and hope that my goal is understood.

Mr NJ, fair point but which form of calcium carb are you referring to as aragnoite, marble, limestone etc are caclium carbonate with different structures, are you referring to aragonite in particular?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Snoek - I'm afraid i will be mining diamonds in a central african conflict zone next month so unfortunately no not formally being at the aquarium. and that wasnt a joke, unfortunately I have difficult job :(

Dallas, thanks for reading the reefcentral thing aswell, I do agree. I am spilling my brains to you all in a last all out attempt to give the hobby a soft send off until 2020.

Ok so I am going to go have a look at the Kenya LR a masa member is selling. I will be taking one big piece of Fiji out my other tank and replace it when I can afford new Fiji (budget a bit tight because I really overspent this month). I will lift the Kenya out the water and take the ones that allows the most water out. Here is 2 photos of my main tank with mostly Fiji in. The tank is only 4 weeks old in the photos.
Sorry for the quality bb takes bad photos

IMG-20130621-00209.jpg

IMG-20130701-00260.jpg

Awesome looking setup you have there and very tidy, will have to arrest you for attempted hi-jacking though :p

Sir Snoek - I'm afraid i will be mining diamonds in a central african conflict zone next month so unfortunately no not formally being at the aquarium. and that wasnt a joke, unfortunately I have difficult job :(

Dallas, thanks for reading the reefcentral thing aswell, I do agree. I am spilling my brains to you all in a last all out attempt to give the hobby a soft send off until 2020.

Sounds rough, hopefully you have Internet there

Ps I get the entire discussion regarding LR but I also believe in Special Blend. I have used 4L in he last 6 weeks and have not had any losses because of the tank going though a cycle. I added 2 clowns 16 hours after starting the tank. 3 days later I added a cleaning wrasse and 2 turbo snails. 7 days after I started I added a regal tang. They are all still in my tank and no white spot at all. The only loss I had was a file fish that would not eat. I started my TL550 yesterday and added a clown and some tang 20min after adding the water. And guess what....... I added 250ml of special blend. The fish and red bubble tip nenie and gsp are looking good today. I just need to add more LR asap. Your advice is really helpful bud thank you. I am glad I read this thread because I was going to go buy that "blue fiji" tomorrow.

Deadmeat2016 I would love to have a chat with you before you leave.
Let me know when we can do so.

Sorry for hijack dude.
Will buy you a beer at Gordons Bay harbour.

Does the man made filler rock have any value in a tank? Based on this discussion I doubt it but can I have an educated answer. Thanks for the no BS answers thus far

Does the man made filler rock have any value in a tank? Based on this discussion I doubt it but can I have an educated answer. Thanks for the no BS answers thus far

Well from a media host for bacteria yes, for building aqua-scrapes yes, getting covered in algae and coralline yes...
Is it as effective, probably not but it still works

What would be better. Man made or Kenya?
Sorry if my questions seem on the dumb ass side but I don't want to make costly mistakes in my TL550 because the water volume is so little.

Back
Top Bottom