feeding twice a day vs light time

Reaction score
My lights are running from 830am -930pm, previously they were 6:45-8:30, and I fed the fish before and when we came back from work. My problem now is when we go to work, the lights are off. Obviously for the welfare of the fish it is best to stagger the feeding, but now I will be feeding at 5pm and 8pm, you think this will work? I just wanted to see everyone else feeding times with their lights pending work times.

i cant see a problem but i do like to put the lights on about a half hour earlier to allow the fish to wake up.. otherwise the food may just simply go into the filter without being seen.. i put my lights on at 05:30am and off again at 07:00 then on again at 16:30 - 20:30.. i feed at 6 in the morning and 18:00 at night though..

I really feel this depends on what fish you have! I personally only feed my fish flake pellet food once a day or once every 2nd day! This has helped allot to get rid of cyno and the tank not to be to polluted from left over uneaten food. As the Tangs I have mainly eat Algae, they keep the tank nice and clean...along with the lawnmower and sand sifting gobies...they have yet to finish all the algae that grows back, and they get Nori once a week as a treat! I believe that some fish like anthias need 3 feedings a day??? My lights are on from 9am till 9pm, and I would only feed at night between 6pm and 8pm!

I really feel this depends on what fish you have! I personally only feed my fish flake pellet food once a day or once every 2nd day! This has helped allot to get rid of cyno and the tank not to be to polluted from left over uneaten food. As the Tangs I have mainly eat Algae, they keep the tank nice and clean...along with the lawnmower and sand sifting gobies...they have yet to finish all the algae that grows back, and they get Nori once a week as a treat! I believe that some fish like anthias need 3 feedings a day??? My lights are on from 9am till 9pm, and I would only feed at night between 6pm and 8pm!

I have goldies that should eat 2x daily at least, I know cleaner wrasse need 3x, have a yellow tang, midas blenny, they all need at least 2x.

I would rather feed two small amounts, than one large amount once a day.

Hi Magman,

I think you have just answered your own question! I dont believe that tangs need to be fed twice a day in an established setup where sufficient algae is available fot them to nibble all day long! Other fish like you have mentioned do require more regular feeding though!

Back
Top Bottom