Enhancing filtration capacity

Reaction score
I have been thinking alot about filtration these last couple of days.
And I have two canister filters lying around. So I have been thinking of connecting one of the canister filters on my sump, in the the place of my return pump.
Well I know that is a bit of a overkill and some additional work, but that can clearly have a huge impact on my system.
All comments are welcome.;)

And what are you going to put in the canister?
I know there are guys out there that run canisters, but to me its a waste of space & just one more thing that can go wrong.
In my opinion, if you have enough LR, correctly rated skimmer for your system & some biocubes & phosphaguard for nutrient control, you are on the right track. Much more than that becomes a waste at the end of the day & in a couple of months you are anyhow going to remove the canisters as you will very quickly realize that they are very messy to clean. (i used to clean mine every weekend as it became a silt trap.)
Unless you are going to run a special media in the canister, i would use the normal system.

Can you perhaps post some pics of your system if you have one?

every extra bit of filtration do help

but you need to measure up the advantage gained against the extra husbandry involved. Canister filters are known to be detritus traps and need to be cleaned out frequently.

Using a cannister filter for Phosphate remover or carbon is another option, as you need to replace the media frequently anyway.

If you do not have a sump and you do gain out of adding extra cannisters, then go for it. But you need to maintain it.

I was thinking of putting a layer of filter wool, a layer of sponge, two layers of saechem matrix.
This is a old system that I have boughtfrom some one. 250L

tank2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom