En-masse killing of Sharks!

Ag no Sean...very sad indeed.

Killing off the apex predator (in such numbers) will one day have a ripple effect on all the oceans inhabitants...and to think of the tagging programs I used to be involved with...on the one side helping scientists understand them better...then people on the other side of the world doing this.....

Many thanks Sean for posting this URL link. I think that it is IMPERATIVE that the rest of the world, now also see what organizations like Save Our Seas, is trying to achieve.

For those who don't know "The Save our Seas Foundation", here's their website URL:
Save Our Seas Foundation - Home

And:
The Sharklife Foundation:
Latest Shark News

Ag no Sean...very sad indeed.

Killing off the apex predator (in such numbers) will one day have a ripple effect on all the oceans inhabitants..
im thinking of the book Beast here

Thank you Jacques;)

Anyway: Read here:

The Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association (HEPCA) launched a campaign earlier this month aimed at raising awareness about the importance of sharks to Egypt’s ecosystem and economy and to inform the public about the dangers associated with consuming shark meat.
The first phase of the initiative, dubbed the “Stop Shark Sales” campaign, aims to halt the sale of shark meat at French hypermarket chain Carrefour. The campaign’s long-term objective, meanwhile, is to have shark fishing banned outright countrywide.

Here is a link:

Campaign against shark sales scores first victory - AfricanDiver.com

You could be eating shark meat and not even know it.

South African fish shops are selling unlabelled or mislabelled shark products, which poses a threat to these endangered species and the unaware shoppers, according to the WWF's Southern Africa Sustainable Seafood Initiative (SASSI).

"We are getting more and more reports of fish shops selling products with strange sounding names like sokomoro and ocean fillet. (Some are) common or even made-up names that most consumers won't recognise," said John Duncan, a programme officer for the initiative.

Read more here:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=14&art_id=vn20100514044410134C151842

You could be eating shark meat and not even know it.

South African fish shops are selling unlabelled or mislabelled shark products, which poses a threat to these endangered species and the unaware shoppers, according to the WWF's Southern Africa Sustainable Seafood Initiative (SASSI).

"We are getting more and more reports of fish shops selling products with strange sounding names like sokomoro and ocean fillet. (Some are) common or even made-up names that most consumers won't recognise," said John Duncan, a programme officer for the initiative.

Read more here:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=14&art_id=vn20100514044410134C151842

Isn't kingklip or something like that mako shark. I know that mako sharks have another name in the supermarkets, it is appreantly differant to other sharks cause it has proper bladder and does not posess the amonia like other sharks. I think it was one of the girls at the commercial buyer in the harbour who told me.
Also fish fingers too.

Hence I only eat fish we shoot or catch.......shame......unlike Meks who has to buy fish or visit us if he wants to eat fish:whistling:

Isn't kingklip or something like that mako shark. I know that mako sharks have another name in the supermarkets, it is appreantly differant to other sharks cause it has proper bladder and does not posess the amonia like other sharks. I think it was one of the girls at the commercial buyer in the harbour who told me.
Also fish fingers too.

Hence I only eat fish we shoot or catch.......shame......unlike Meks who has to buy fish or visit us if he wants to eat fish:whistling:

Wow, that is a statement. Is there any proof regarding kingklip/mako and/or fishfingers?

mmmm And I fed my nemmie kingklip today ... devoured it like never saw for food years .... Didn't want prawn though ....

Last edited:
Wow, that is a statement. Is there any proof regarding kingklip/mako and/or fishfingers?

Like I said in my first post "something like that". I do know 100% that mako is the shark used in the supermarkets here, I think another name for it is blue shark.

I was trying to find a source of fresh bonnies at one stage, and asked in at one of the commercial fisheries, they had their prices there that they were paying the commercial fisherman for their catch, and I ask why the shark was on there, she told me that it was a fish they supplied, and what it was marketed as in the supermarket (I am sure she said kingklip, what is a king klip if not).

being a jack of all trades i once was a partner in a fish shop and kingklip and barbel are often mistaken for one another..

as for shark meat it can quite easily be slipped in lableld as another fish species if correctly processes

the think with shark meatand the ammonia taste /smell is that it is not bled properly on capture.. and the blood soakes into the meat.. if layed in bicarb or milk the ammonia is removed..

im really disturbed that these people pictured in the article are so short sighted.. its seems that people still believe that the seas will always produce fish no matter how much we overfish them and no matter how much waste (toxic and other) is dumped into it..

just for interests sake you guys probably eat more MONK FISH when ordering CRAYFISH.. thank crayfish..

My girlfriend was working for a very long time at I&J. I had a chat with her about kingklip and fishfingers. She was in the factory from I&J and said, kingklip is a fish and she saw the whole kingklip. The fishfingers from I&J are made only from hake. Good to know, not that I am eating fishfingers, but good.

SAD

that is horific!!!!! that is a huge numbers of sharks lying there! man is so evil and money is even more evil!!
i just want to say a BIG fat F-YOU!!! to all those evil bastards who are destroying the beautiful creatures of the sea!

Back
Top Bottom