Dwarf Lion Fish Q

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Guys ...

how dangerous are the dwarf lionfish's spikes for us mere mortals?

is a Dwarf lionfish safe with damsels and clowns

Could it pose a threat to a nennie??

All lionfish have toxins in their spines! How an individual reacts is the important questions - some might be fatal - especially if maybe allergic to like bee stings - others might just end up with a very sore and swollen hand! The safest advice is stay away from them spines! Most fish can be kept with a dwarf lionfish as long as they not gonna fit in his mouth - and what a mouth his got - can open up almost as big as half his body size! Also most fish know their boundaries with nemmies but you get the odd stupid ones that get too close or the clever nemmie that lures them in so its a chance you take unfortunately!;)

Like Chikabo said one person it can be fatal and another just dam sore. It will eat any fish including other lions that will fit in it's mouth and don't be fooled sometimes one a little bigger that it's mouth. Nennies wouldn't be a problem had mine with a nennie and it stayed way clear from it. Lion as very cool fish, are you setting up a predator tank?

i am formulating an idea for a small tank ....... thinking of nennie and some clowns but have always wanted a dwarf lion, dont know how compatible the clowns and the lion will be though, hoping that if it is a dwarf then the clowns will stand a chance????

I would also like to know that awnser but I heard that if you feed youre lionfish enough frozen food he will leave youre other fish alone. A lionfish's sting is in the same class as a bee sting... Leathal only when allergic!

OK your first mission is to get your lionfish to eat frozen foods! They are hunters and prefer live food! Alot of them end up dying of starvation coz dont want frozen "dead" food and when hungry enough then will try to take out smaller fish! So Like in our world it's like saying feed a normal lion enough food and when you go in front of him he will NEVER eat you - why chance it? But if he is well fed and you put bigger than what "can fit in his mouth" food in front of him as in your clown fish, then you're pretty much safe!

Neil, Ive been stung twice by a Volitans ...I didnt die but still have little sensitive parts on my fingers.

Sorry to contradict some other advice here but if it can fit the fish (even more or less) into its mouth IT WILL EAT IT ...no matter how much you feed them

Hi Frans does this apply 2 all species of lionfish coz I found my dwarf 2 be much more passive than his cousins in fact he was happy 2 chase around and gulp down even flakes and pellets flying around with the power heads on!

Hi Frans does this apply 2 all species of lionfish coz I found my dwarf 2 be much more passive than his cousins in fact he was happy 2 chase around and gulp down even flakes and pellets flying around with the power heads on!

Chick...in my experience with Lions eventually yes. My Fuzzy dwarf was also happy to eat pellets, frozen foods etc...BUT one stormy night I got home to find him more orange and bigger than normal...when he opened his mouth inside was nemo :p

thanks for all the feedback guys !!

Hi Neil
Did you get the dwarf lion. i want to get one but have clowns as well.

thanks

Nick as far as I know, the clowns should be ok, like Chika said, as long as the clown in quite a bit bigger than its mouth, cause its bigger than you think!

I just fed my small lions, the one is only about 20mm long, but ate a live shrinp about 25mm long!:whistling:

Nick, i never went ahead with it but i may well do it in the future

Nick as far as I know, the clowns should be ok, like Chika said, as long as the clown in quite a bit bigger than its mouth, cause its bigger than you think!

I just fed my small lions, the one is only about 20mm long, but ate a live shrinp about 25mm long!:whistling:

Try some frozen food tied loosely on a cotton thread so that you can jerk the thread around and make the frozen food look "alive" - works like a charm - just make sure the cotton is loose enough to pull out the lion mouth without "reeling" him like a angler would

Back
Top Bottom