DSB to NP Pellets

12 Apr update

12 Apr 2012:
NO3: 10-15ppm
PO4: 0.125ppm
PH: 8.1
dKH: 9.0

So after 1 month, I'm beginning to see a reduction in NO3 and PO4. This after removing my DSB and reducing flow through the reactor..

Thanks for the advice @williet

Let's hope this downward spiral of NO3 and PO4 continue..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ZAk

I am overjoyed !!!! Just remember be careful and make sure you start feeding your corals. I cannot Overemphasize that ! Just to motifate you even more. I have been stagnant (5ppm No3) for a month (With a few power failure setback) and after dosing some Zeobak, I have dropped to +- 1 - 2.5 in a week ! What are you planning to feed your corals ?

Also keep an eye on things, if you see your montis grey out or you have RTN do dose potassium! It works well!

One last thing to add, Please bring your Dkh closer to the 8dkh marker. you are going to start burning your hard corals ! but do it slowly...

Last edited:
Hi ZAk

I am overjoyed !!!! Just remember be careful and make sure you start feeding your corals. I cannot Overemphasize that ! Just to motifate you even more. I have been stagnant (5ppm No3) for a month (With a few power failure setback) and after dosing some Zeobak, I have dropped to +- 1 - 2.5 in a week ! What are you planning to feed your corals ?

Also keep an eye on things, if you see your montis grey out or you have RTN do dose potassium! It works well!

One last thing to add, Please bring your Dkh closer to the 8dkh marker. you are going to start burning your hard corals ! but do it slowly...

No plans on feeding corals just yet, NO3 is & PO4 still high. Il get excited once I see a further drop :) Im still skeptical :lol:

Thing is, I don't have SPS, just softies and LPS, do I still need to keep my dKH down? If so, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea.. Don't have those test kits in my arsenal..

No signs of any cycle.. I didnt get the anticipated bacterial bloom and no cyano yet (touch wood)..

Out of curiosity, whats your no2 and nh3 @?
NO2 is nitrit and NO3 is nitrate. Nitrit is very difficult to find in a half-way intact system, as the bacteria convert it very quickly to NO3, which tends to accumulate.

By the way, I did post a general guide for Bio-Pellets on The Serious Reefer forum.

Jamie

Haven't tested yet, busy re-scaping. Lotsa detritus in the water column, expecting a rise in NO3 and PO4, but we'll see..

Hi ZAk

excelent advice there willet, thanks so much for taking the time to popst like this:)

21 Apr Update

21 Apr 2012:
NO3: 10-15ppm
PO4: 0.125ppm
PH: 8.1
dKH: 8.2

Parameters haven't changed much since last update. Haven't done a water change since then as well, gonna do that today.. Flow in DT has definitely improved since rescaping, no build up of detritus in DT. Problem is that detritus has accumulated in chamber one of my sump after the rescape, could be contributing to my nitrates..

Had to increase flow through the reactor after pellets slowed down, seems like they getting heavier..

44994f967b8e46407.jpg

Hi zak

the reason they getting heavier is due to the accumulation of bacteria culture which is good!!!!
You will adjust until you hit the sweet spot. How many grams are you on now ?

Hi zak

the reason they getting heavier is due to the accumulation of bacteria culture which is good!!!!
You will adjust until you hit the sweet spot. How many grams are you on now ?

I'm on 250g, I'm not adding any more than that.. The mulm that supposed to form on the pellets, is this something visible?

Iv run out of special blend a few days ago, do you think it's necessary to continue dosing?

Hmm looking at your bioload it is quite high. How many fish ?
You might need more pellets?
Mulm is almost transparent film. How long have you been on special blend ?

Hmm looking at your bioload it is quite high. How many fish ?
You might need more pellets?
Mulm is almost transparent film. How long have you been on special blend ?

About 15 or so fish, with the exception of the regal and sailfin tang, all other fish are small.

I started dosing special blend weekly about 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago, I dosed daily for about 5 days until I finished the supply..

Back
Top Bottom