Dosing magnesium

Calcium chloride for calcium, baked baking soda for alkalinity and epsom salts for magnesium.
@mariusmeyer
I bought baked baking soda, sodium carbonate, soda ash instead of sodium bicarb because I didn't want to do the baking. Same place, Protea Chemicals. Would this turn to sodium bicarb over time due to moisture retention?

Last edited by a moderator:
@mariusmeyer
I bought baked baking soda, sodium carbonate, soda ash instead of sodium bicarb because I didn't want to do the baking. Same place, Protea Chemicals. Would this turn to sodium bicarb over time due to moisture retention?

That I am not sure of. After I bake mine I put it into a sealed container with some of that moisture abzorber packets. I just used the ones that come with medication but you could get the silica gel from the hardware store IIRC.

marius i am coming for a lesson soon on how to do all this stuff.

Tested again tonight. 1240ppm twice in a row. The 1320ppm last night must have been high because I tested to soon after dosing. Added another 150g MgCl in 1500 ml RO.

If my tank tests 1320 tomorrow night I know 100g of MgCl increases 250l by 40ppm. I'm sure there are smarter ways to do this but I'm trying the practical, minimal maths retrospectoscope approach.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Tested again tonight. 1240ppm twice in a row. The 1320ppm last night must have been high because I tested to soon after dosing. Added another 150g MgCl in 1500 ml RO.

If my tank tests 1320 tomorrow night I know 100g of MgCl increases 250l by 40ppm. I'm sure there are smarter ways to do this but I'm trying the practical, minimal maths retrospectoscope approach.

Will let you know how it turns out.

My wiskunde was gebreek.

100g raised it by 40ppm so 150g should raise another 60 to a total of 1300ppm not 1320ppm.

Tested today. Mg 1280ppm.

One drop equals a difference of 20ppm so 1280 vs 1300 is a close call. I'm going settle with 100MgCl increases my Mg by 40ppm in my 250 liter tank. To standardize this to 100 liters would mean 40g increases Mg by 40ppm.

So 1 gram MgCl increases your Mg by 1 ppm if you are using Dead Sea Works MgCl.

That makes for easy maths (if my wiskunde isn't still broken).

Back
Top Bottom