Do You Like Annie Die Anemoon(afrikaans)

Some more pics of base,

21174c6fda2ba26d2.jpg

21174c6fda775350b.jpg

Burt - I am battling with algae, have taken out some of my base rock and now running phosguard and cutting back on feeding. any other suggestions?

thanks jacques, also wondering, is there any shape, way or form of determining the age of a nennie?

If I remember correctly what Anemone said ..... there is no way to determine age .... they supposed to outliving generations of human beings .....

also wondering, is there any shape, way or form of determining the age of a nennie?

No

Their size is proportional to how well they are living, but NOT how old they are. If a nennie is housed under less than optimal conditions it can use up it's own body for energy... it is thus possible to have a nennie of (say) 100 years age being substantially smaller than a well-fed nennie of only 4 or 5 years old...

they supposed to outliving generations of human beings .....

True - that's why one should only buy an anemone if one is prepared to have one's children inherit it from you after your death...

Hennie

No

True - that's why one should only buy an anemone if one is prepared to have one's children inherit it from you after your death...

Hennie

Thats so true, never thought about it that way, i know bout the size thing but was wondering if you could have it genetically tested. For all i know, my nennie could be older than me!!

I have to dissent here and say I think it looks like a H. magnifica. Apart from looking like one, H. malu usually buries part of its foot in the sand, while H. magnifica usually climbs to the highest part of the rockwork (or glass).

There's a nice differentiation on WetWebMedia.

Heteractis magnifica (Quoy & Gaimard 1833), the Magnificent Sea Anemone. Family Stichodactylidae. Found in open areas, attached to a solid object. Base of solid purple, blue, green, red, white or brown color. Oral disc flat with barely tapering, finger-like tentacles up to a meter across. Specimen showing disc and basal color and in Pulau Redang, Malaysia at right. And a close-up of the pedicle (stalk) of one in N. Sulawesi to show the verrucae.

Heteractis malu (Haddon & Shackleton 1893), the Delicate Sea Anemone. Narrow, buried column of pale cream to yellow color, sometimes with some yellow or orange splotching. Upper part with adhesive verrucae in rows. Sparse tentacles of stubby appearance, variable length, usually magenta tipped, with radial markings. Found in sediment in shallow, still water

Last edited:
Hmmmm, so you're saying i could have a magnifica rob?

'see what happens?' :lol: can you do genetic tests on the tissue to determine the species?

Na wait for Brenda to give you an accurate ID. I know she has been very busy of late which is why she may not have commented on its species. Or it may be a malu and she is not disagreeing with you ;)

thanks jacques, also wondering, is there any shape, way or form of determining the age of a nennie?

No Deadmeat - humans have unfortunately not been able (yet) to succesfully (and even scientifically) been able to determine the true age of any anemone....

W.r.t the ID - the H. malu usually have the blue/purple tips at the ends of the tentacles..... :)

on the contrary to this, i have seen Magnificas with purple tips, as of this afternoon you are infact in possession of one :D So that cant really serve as the main means of identification ;)

LOL Stu...... the jury is still out on that one, hey ;)

Let's wait and see.... :biggrin:

LOL Stu...... the jury is still out on that one, hey ;)

Let's wait and see.... :biggrin:
haha well, the facts are there, we will just have see if they remain facts or stories of the past ;)
Sorry to "hi jack" - Deadmeat....

Stu - here's a pic of a very healthy heteractis magnifica ;)

1454c7172c303191.jpg
whats your point with the picture? I know what a magnifica looks like?:whistling:

beautiful nennie :thumbup: but how do you know its a magnifica? :p

Back
Top Bottom