DIY T5 Unit

Reaction score
picture.php

Howsit guys was wondering if this could work out. The idea is to use U channels and corners to create the framework, still need to decide if i cn gt someone to weld it all together or pop rivet it all. The inside will be lined with analoid. Alternatively i could use IBR sheeting and line that as well...Does anyone know if an inverter welder can weld Alu and whether 32X32 U channels are avialable in alu.

there is u channel Alu out there. as far as welding Alu.. no an inverter is not the proper tool for that. nor any oilbath welder. go for poprivets. also work you out a lot less

the light going out horizontally, will be reflected directly back into the tube. End result is that the tube runs hotter than with a properly shaped reflector. That is the principle behind those gullwing reflectors. To be able to direct the light down into the tank but by missing the tube.

And tubes that runs hotter, do not last as long as they should.

Inverter welder can weld aluminum just buy correct welding rods.Alu welding is messy and tricky

Last edited:
Shot thanks guys, will look at alternaive designs other option will be to use chromodek IBR sheeting. 2 bulbs per space. This could be powedr coated first then lined with analoid or just left white.

picture.php

Many moons ago, I build myself a temporary T5 39W * 6 unit. Was fun doing it, but after a Saturday putting it all together, cutting and stripping wires. Trying to get those wires into the bloody ballast. It left me wondering if I really saved any money?

The 3 ballast units cost under R200 for 54W. The end caps is about R15 for the normal non-waterproof type (if I remember correctly) 15 * 2 * 6 another R180.

So I'm already at about R800 for just the ballasts and en caps, never mind the reflectors, splash shield or something to screw all of this onto.

After the new globes etc, my unit DIY worked out the same as a new T5 39W with 6 new globes included. Given, they were not the best quality globes, but were OK for at least 3 months. Would have been better for me then to rather buy the new unit. Never mind the for sale section. So still my advice, get the prices of everything, check the for sale section, and compare the prices and effort.

Have to agree with riaan. I've also built a DIY t5 fitting and it didn't come out much cheaper than buying a unit new. It also looked very home made and was nowhere near as neat as the shop units.
Maybe look around for a good second hand unit before investing too much into the diy route

I've also built a DIY t5 fitting and it didn't come out much cheaper than buying a unit new
Mine looked crap!
OK, my excuse was that it was a "temporary" thing. But still, looked crap

Back
Top Bottom