DIY Rock - Oyster Shells

Easy Tiger

Day Dreamer Deluxe
Reaction score
So ... I am going to try and make some DIY " Oystercrete" base rock, following several established recipes I have found online .

White Cement - check
Aragonite - check
Rock Salt - check
Crushed Oyster Shells - er, no - does anyone know where to buy this stuff? I beleive they use it as chicken feed but I called around a few places today and people think I am a lunatic. Does anyone know where you can buy this stuff in Gauteng?

Thanks!

Cant just leave it out if headache to find?

It would be aragocrete instead

Watch out on your source . Crush some oyster shell put it in RO water to test effects it will have on your tank

Last edited:
Uh oh - from one obsessive hobby to another ... cool, I will try phone around now. Have found a few places that sell the oyster shells crushed as animal feed - as in powder - not whole or in smaller chunks.

@BigFish - yep, will probably revert to aragonite and (maybe) crushed coral instead, if the oyster shell is not available. I'll probably try Ocean Basket now on my lunch hour ... :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all - yep, I plan on around 60 days curing time ( new tank on it's way and should be installed within 2 months - got to break down half my house first!). I wanted to start on the rock now so it would be ready by then. I will be testing regularly for PH levels and later on PO4 - before putting it in the tank . Lots of info on MASA and other sites about the curing process so I am OK with the timeline ... it's just those pesky ingredients I need to find...

white cement, play sand and rock salt is all you need

just for the record ,dude spend some bucks and buy some proper live rock

Back
Top Bottom