DIY Chiller

Reaction score
Please tell what you guys think.

20140127_170157.jpg

20140127_170205.jpg

20140127_170212.jpg

20140127_170221.jpg

Looks like part of my garage. LOL ;)

Elaborate a little more on what you are trying to do and how you envisage the end product. Also what old refrigeration compressor you are going yo use.

Looks like part of my garage. LOL ;)

Elaborate a little more on what you are trying to do and how you envisage the end product. Also what old refrigeration compressor you are going yo use.

Its a 12000 Btu A.C. I coiled a 6m s/s brake pipe as my chilling coil inside the blue 90mm water pipe. So water will run from the top of the T on left in the pipe to the 90 bend on the right top. Ill conect the s/steel pipe to the side of the A.C

The sticker sed 12000 BTU. Why. Do u think it will work on my new 862L tank. I tested it in a bucket and it works like a bomb in 5min the 20L bucket went from 28 to 9. Before I checked. Was talking to my friends.

The sticker sed 12000 BTU. Why. Do u think it will work on my new 862L tank. I tested it in a bucket and it works like a bomb in 5min the 20L bucket went from 28 to 9. Before I checked. Was talking to my friends.

Yup that is my concern. The compressor may be tooooo big for the volume of water you want to chill. You ideally want a 1/2 HP compressor for that volume of water. A compressor that will chill to quickly will give you hysteresis issues when trying to maintain a steady temperature. Find out what the HP of the compressor is before going too far with the project. But yeah if the compressor does not chill to aggressively. :thumbup:

As far as I can remember it is about 1.5HP electric use. Expect over 4HP cooling capability

Last edited:
looks interesting.. wouldn't a thermostat fix the issue of over chilling ?

OK let's look at this analogy. We use a 400lph pump to top off our sumps. This supply's water at a slow rate to keep the water level in the sump. Now if we used a swimming pool pump as the top off pump, as soon as the switch starts the top off the sump will flood and overflow. The same will happen with temperature.

Also the cost of running (stop start) a compressor of that size is extremely expensive.

The idea is great but IMO I would look for a more suitable compressor.

I have another option, Use the chiller coil to cool a liquid like plain water or a gel. In this water or gel coil a pipe in which the aquarium water is pumped through.

This will ensure that you do not get any metal in your tank as well as build a heat sink that can put a bit of hysteresis into the system.

If you keep the chiller coils and the plastic pipe in close proximity and you isolate the whole" heat exchanges" you might even have good thermal efficiency.

Also note that you do not want to start the compressor to close in time after you stopped it. I would recommend a minimum off time of about 5 min.

Ok I agree. But my tank is 862L +sump1 is 280L+sump2 is 280L = total 1422L. SO I thought it would be fine.

That will certainly work as I built one out of an office water cooler. ZBut it is big, heavy, expensive, uses a lot of power and is complicated. I built a much simpler one. An evaporative cooler where water flows across the plates and a fan evaporates the water. It was to small for my tank and was just a test but it cooled my 100 gallon tank about 4 degrees for practically free. If I made it twice as large it would be perfect. Now I use LEDs on my tank and don't need the chiller for my main tank and more so I use it on my worm tank.

That will certainly work as I built one out of an office water cooler. ZBut it is big, heavy, expensive, uses a lot of power and is complicated. I built a much simpler one. An evaporative cooler where water flows across the plates and a fan evaporates the water. It was to small for my tank and was just a test but it cooled my 100 gallon tank about 4 degrees for practically free. If I made it twice as large it would be perfect. Now I use LEDs on my tank and don't need the chiller for my main tank and more so I use it on my worm tank.

If I used that here ill have no water left in my tank. Humidity

If I used that here ill have no water left in my tank. Humidity

what if you make the box where the plates and the fan is closed except for a hole from which the fan can blow in the cool air.. like that the water that evaporates will condensate on the top and drip back into the cooler

air still needs to go out somewhere.
Cannot just blow air in... and in... and in. Must escape. And at that vent you will still have a lot of moisture leaving the contraption.

a CHILLER is about 200w i think that unit you using will be just under 2kw!!

you will just need to regulate the temp so heater will work full time! just need to sort temp regulation issues out then it should be 100s set the remote to 28 and see what happens LOL

Back
Top Bottom