DIY chemicals Ca, kh and Mg

You shouldnt, but yes you can. Wouldnt advise unless your chemistry knowledge is up to scratch. Not familiar with the products you are using, purity, waters of hydration etc etc.
Rather use kalk, one topup container and make up shortfall, if any with a two part and a stand alone magnesium suppliment, as kalkwater contains none. Just be sure to put some safety precautions in place when using kalk...

Hey guys, I need some assistance here please...

I've got a 250L tank, just measured my alk and it's reading at 5.5 dKh, super low. I went and bought some baking soda with the intention of using Randy's Recipe #2.

When I work out how much to dose using the reef chemistry calc, it says 235.8 ml / 79 fl oz / 41 tsp of product is needed to raise it to 8 dKh.

Does that mean that if I mix 100g baking soda in 1L RO water that I would need to use 235ml of that mixed 1L or would it be 2.24L (7.9 fl oz = 224 grams) of the mix that I would need to dose to get the alk up?

If it is 2.24L of the mix then over what period would be advisable to do it? Surely 3 days isn't enough or is it?

Dbl post, I swear I didn't.

Last edited:
hmm, you need to take into consideration the usage of kH as you are dosing, but there is a rule about this. I cannot remember exactly but i think you shouldn't raise it by more than 1 dkH per day. Hopefully someone with a better memory will post the correct figure on here.

Reactions: JS
If you use recipe 2 then you need to mix the solution as specified in that recipe. You need 18,7grams of baking soda to up your alkalinity. So if you mix 100gr per 1L of RO then you need 187ml of that solution. Dont raise alkalinity by more than 0,5dkh per day.

Last edited:
@mariusmeyer, where did you get 18.7grams from? Is that just an example of a number you used? I'm working off Reef Chemistry Calculator.

Oh, I see now, you chose baking soda in the drop down. I was choosing Randy's recipe 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody still has some Mg and Ca DIY supplements they want to sell? I am running out and need more.
CaCl2 and MgCl2 (not MgSO4)

Hi Guys,

I bought CaCl2 and MgCl2 from Protea Chemicals yesterday. I bought 25kg so can sell about 10kg of each if somebody wants.
Can sell for R100 for 5kg CaCl2 and R100 for 5kg MgCl2.

It is food grade so it should be fine but I can obviously not guarantee anything.
The MgCl is the same as on the recipe An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
And the CaCl2 is the standard 77%-80% CaCl2

Pickups only in Midstream Estate, Centurion
Let me know if anybody is interested

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

Ok let me know how much you want and when you want to pick up then I will make sure I am at home. Preferably after 6 in die week or over the weekend.

ok cool....i have your contact details.....can collect Friday after work or Saturday. I will take the 10kg of each

Damnit, anyways it seems i missed it. Miss read the post as he only has 10kg's to sell and Dexter wants all 10..
Thanks @459b for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom