DIY algae scrubber

Reaction score
Our new "old" reef octopus overflow box is running smoothly. My husband wants to build and install an algae scrubber, but we don't have ANY space in our sump area. The only place where we will be able to construct it is between the overflow from the box and the sump.
Are there any designs out there for this type of algae scrubber, or does anyone have ideas. I will post a pic of the piping between the algae scrubber and the sump

This is our overflow box with 40mm pvc piping. We have 15cm available between the wall and the back of the DT.
105549cb7be3d4130.jpg

105549cb7d059fc24.jpg

Bottom of PVC piping that goes straight into the first chamber of the sump where the skimmer is

I think Mudshark's ATS might be the best option for you... Nice suggestion mudshark.:thumbup:

mudshark, my husband is not keen on a seperate crate next to our DT. Our space is a bit limited. Altough you're design looks fantastic, and very nicely build.
You're tank is truly spectacular!! :thumbup:

Is there anybody else that has the same constraints in terms of small sump area, and surrounding area and wanting to install an algae scrubber?

Just remember that a scrubber has to be easy to maintain. If the screens are hard to get at, you'll start neglecting harvesting, which will result in chaos. I also had the screens under the tank, but had huge humidity issues which was becoming an electrical danger. That's why I made the compromise of having a visible box. I'm still gonna clad it to make it less of an eye-sore. Maybe you can drill through a wall and have it outside of the room? The 15cm between your overflow and the wall will not be enough for a scrubber.

Ok I will discuss it with Kevin and show him you're thread. Will keep you updated on his decision. Thanks for the advice

105549cbbbbfe5b81.jpg

No space for algae scrubber anywhere.

Sorry to change the topic, but how deep is the sand bed? Can't really see as the pic is cut off a bit. Is it 15cm deep? If so, good ;) - if not, I suggest you make it that deep :)

:wave2:

Sorry to change the topic, but how deep is the sand bed? Can't really see as the pic is cut off a bit. Is it 15cm deep? If so, good ;) - if not, I suggest you make it that deep :)

:wave2:

Hi tobes, yes 15cm, actually i think its 18cm.

Another option for the scrubber would be above the tank. Some people have had good results with a dump type system that periodically releases the water into the display, causing a surge and releasing pods into the water as well. I haven't seen one in operation but if you're feeling adventurous look at Reefski's design. 700 gallon tank build with 4x8 natural light skylight over tank

A remote scrubber is your only choice. If I were you, I'd make the ATS, let it run for a couple of months and then decide if it's worth the extra cabinet. If you make it correctly, I can tell you now what your decision will be.

Ok, kevin gave in, we are going remote scrubber.... He's off to buy the crate, pipes ect. Mudshark is it possible to maybe explain step by step how you build you're scrubber? Does you're water flow from you're overflow into the scrubber and then gravity takes it to the sump? If you can maybe just explain the process, i will appreciate it alot!! ;)
Also, you are using 45W, 4000K energy savers, am I right? Kevin went to the shops this morning, and they are priced at R160 each, and are 23cm long? According to them this is the only 45W, 4000K energy savers on the market, and they will only be able to order it end april, as there is currently no stock in SA.
Are these the correct lights to use for optimal results?

Is this a normal 60cm by 30cm tank?
Looks like you can lower the water level in the sump.
If so, you have enough space to do this
Simple DIY Scrubber - Anything DIY Related
Can not go simpler that this

Riaan, it's a bit bigger than 60X30, but we can't lower the waterlevel due to our baffle and safety design in our sump...

Ok, kevin gave in, we are going remote scrubber.... He's off to buy the crate, pipes ect. Mudshark is it possible to maybe explain step by step how you build you're scrubber? Does you're water flow from you're overflow into the scrubber and then gravity takes it to the sump? If you can maybe just explain the process, i will appreciate it alot!! ;)
Also, you are using 45W, 4000K energy savers, am I right? Kevin went to the shops this morning, and they are priced at R160 each, and are 23cm long? According to them this is the only 45W, 4000K energy savers on the market, and they will only be able to order it end april, as there is currently no stock in SA.
Are these the correct lights to use for optimal results?

P1010571.gif

P1010574.jpg

P1010570.gif

I have a separate 3500 l/hr pump, in the sump, feeding the 2 screens. The holes in the pipes should be 8mm in diameter and about 15mm between holes. Leave about 5cm free from the side of the bin to the first hole. The holes should be angled down at 45 degrees onto the screen. The screen is made from shadecloth and you'll cut to size as determined by the size of the bin. As you can see, the lower pipe is only for holding the screen and should not obscure the light from the algal screen. There should be 2x 32mm pipes draining the bin in the form of durso standpipes. Let me know if you need a breakdown of the durso's.

Determine the max waterlevel before drilling holes for ventilation. I made the holes with a circular hole saw for wood. I highly recommend 2 large PC fans of about 0.3A blowing into the top of the scrubber. This aids cooling and prevents moisture getting to the electrics.

The lights that you descibe sound correct. Mine are Lohuis and I paid R95. Use ceramic screw in type fittings which can be countersunk into a beam of wood and attached from the top. You can waterproof with silicone if you want to. If you can find waterproof fittings there is room for improvement here. I used 32W lamps before them but the increased growth from 45W is more than proportional.

P1010572.gif

Just ask if you need more detail on anything. Also ask if you are gonna try any alternative methods, as I've tried different setups and I could save you time and trouble.

Back
Top Bottom