Detailed form submitted: Lisa

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Lisa, 18 Oct 2010.

1. Lisa

18 Feb 2009
    Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    Brief Description
    The live rock in my tank looks as if it dying. It is all turning white. Does anybody know thw cause and how I can get things looking healthy again?
    Tank size
    1200 x 45 x 60
    System Volume
    260 litre Jewel tank
    How long has your tank been running?
    bought it 2nd hand with rock and fish in Jan 2090. It was a working tank when I bought it
    What livestock do you have?
    3x Blue Damsels
    1 Algae Blenny
    1 x Maroon clown
    1 x Pyjama Cardinal
    1 x cleaner shrimp
    1 x anemnome
    a few Zoa
    a few Ears
    Water Parameters
    Sorry. I tested a few days ago but didnt write down the results. I have tests for Alkalinity. ph, Nitrate, Nitrite and Amonia. All were either spot or in the correct colour band on my test kit.
    I had a problem with the salinity climbing to 1029. I managed to get it down to 1024.
    I found that every time i had the water mixed at my LPS, it was being mixed too strong.
    What lighting is over the tank?
    1 x white
    1 x acintic
    both approx 870 long
    Pumps and equipment
    protein skimmer is a Prizm flat hang on.
    Jewel internal filter
    10% water change every two weeks.
    Add calcium C+ once a week
    synthetic Red Sea Salt
    Globe change 8 months ago
    Other info and photo's.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

30 Nov 2007

Your lights are not enough and at 8 months a Flourescent tube is near its end, depending on the make. The expensive brands like Giesieman and ATI might not fade so quickly.
    If your calcium is right, 380-450, then I think the purple coraline algae is dying and turning white because of a lack of light. And sadly the anemone will be next...
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

11 Aug 2008
    Yip, only 2 tubes will not be enough.
    replace the current globes as Tobes said. And check if you can add better or more lights.
    I bought myself 2 of these over the weekend for my quarantine setup. very cheap.
    New products availible - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Just not sure how they will fit on a Jewel tank if it does have a canopy.

But run new lights for first day only for 4 hours, then every day 1 hour more. Anemone and other zoa's must get used to the more intense lights, else they will get "sun burn" (well same thing)
  5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

4 May 2007
    Hi Lisa

As the guys have said, your lighting is very inadequate to keep an anemone alive, please tell us what type of anemone it is and are you feeding it?

Do you have any Urchins and/or snails? Some species of these clean live rock and can leave white patches overnight.

Do you have a calcium test kit to measure your calcium level? If you are adding supplements for Calcium and Alkalinity it is vital that you have test kits for these 2 elements. These 2 elements have to be kept in balance and at the correct levels.

What are you using to test your salinity?
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

7 Sep 2009

Coraline prefers lower light than say corals like sps that demand high light. You might have a problem with your magnesium and or your calcium. I see your dosing calcium and not magnesium, nor are you testing for either one. I would look at testing your water parameters you should never dose anything without testing for it. There is a strong relationship between Ca, Mg and Alk and they need to be in balance.

ideally you should have results close to the following.
    Calcium: 380-450 ppm
    Alkalinity: 2.8-4.3 meq/L, or 8-12 DKH
    pH: 8.1-8.3
    Magnesium: 1200-1400 ppm.

here is a link that can provide more info.

What test kit are you using?
    What brand of calcium are you dosing?
Recent Posts