design help needed.

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
hey guys

i have a downpipe in one of my tanks but my problem is the water falling straight down the downpipe is going to be pretty noisy so i thaught of an idee to stop this.

I was thinking of putting a spiral in the pipe so that the water will follow the spiral till the bottem, this means that the water wont be falling straight down anymore but instead taking a longer path to the bottem and be more quiet. the problem is i have no idee on how to desighn such a think and to make it more difficoult, in the middle there is a return pipe. so the spiral needs to go down the pipe inbetween the middle return pipe and the big outside stand pipe.

any idees?:yeahdude:

well I can design it for you, Im a draughtsman afterall, and use solidedge, but why dont you just get 2 90 dg bends at the bottom, and make a 180 dg bend back up, it should reduce noise alot, and help with bubbles, and wont stop flow, almost like a basin pipe design...

Can you post a pic of how it looks at the moment?
The problem with the spiral is that you will get a gargling sound...

here we go

15174c9b2cd6bcf30.jpg

15174c9b2cf34b84c.jpg

well I can design it for you, Im a draughtsman afterall, and use solidedge, but why dont you just get 2 90 dg bends at the bottom, and make a 180 dg bend back up, it should reduce noise alot, and help with bubbles, and wont stop flow, almost like a basin pipe design...

this is a good idea and i thought of it unfortunately the pipe is 90mm so the fittings are huge and that would take to much space.

try using a basin s- bend made of rubber and would reduce sound

get a reducer, I think it is 90 - 50 or 40 reducer, and then the basin pipe? Let met check pvc catalog quickly

yes water only flows through the drilled holes. ontop of the pipe will be a endcap. now to get back to that internal spiral. thewaterflow down the pipe wont be a lot, like 800 liters/h max.

I've used Riaan's soil vent idee, worked perfect but could hear the water falling down the pipe to a 90° bend. I used a onion bag (Washed) and let it hang inside the pipe. Not in a ball like way but on the sides. Problem solved..

Hi Johan

Im not sure if this will work, but try to use a bend that is more than 90°. Not sure if you can get bends greater than 90°. Otherwise try to modify a 90° bend. The angle which the water hit the bottom of the bend/pipe will most probably change the sound of falling water.

I have the same problem as you. Going to do some shopping and mods do my piping.

Good luck

to give you guys an idee of what im planning.......

15174c9b4660c61a1.jpg

15174c9b466d62c87.jpg

Could work, but try the onion sack thing, could be cheaper and more productive, remember simple is always best...

i have a family friend that does perspex stuff for a living. so thats sorted out the problem is i can make it on sketchup but how the hell do i make a template for cut out so that the guy can just bend it then.

i see all your guys advice and dont think im not listening, thing is that ive got like a meter it needs to drop. an onion sack gets cloggeg with detritus adn this is going o be removable for a cleaning.

so any idees on how to drw that template.

tell you what, your idea will look prety sharp if you can make it out of clear pcv... Why can you give him a sample pice, and let him bend and cut it around that pipe, then you can just use the new pipe, always good idea to have a spare?

Try use a swimmingpool cleaner pipe - those plastic flexible ones on the kreepy, use the dark grey / blue one's to stop algea growth, you can bend/shape it, you also get a fitting that will make the pool pipe fit to normal 50mm plumbing pipes, you can cut it easy, I'v got one forming a slooooooow 90deg bend and it is a lot quieter than using normal pvc piping.

having it in clear pvc means that algae can grow inside and become clogged.

Back
Top Bottom