Decisions Decisions

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Ive been scouting for a decent camera for a while now. My wife wants to start photography as a hobby and I need some advice. I have three choices.

1) Canon 450D
2) Nikon D60
3) Sony @230

We are keen on purchasing the Canon 450D but would like your personal experiences with the different cameras. I used Riyadhs 450D recently and its quite impressive. Is this ok for a starter camera?

Cheers
Keyaam

OR: Nikon D60 - super awesome camera. It has always been a "toss-up" between Canon and Nikon. I think that you should go try the feel at a shop, of both the camera's.... see which's menu system works easier for you, and the controls, etc....

I did that and the wife wants the 450D. I just need some more opinions before purchasing

Well - unfortunately, Keyaam. If the wife wants the Canon EOS 450D, then that's probably what you will end up buying. It's not a bad camera at all. You will be happy with it..... There's also a whole range of lenses available.

Is your wife going into photography as a hobby, or professionally?

Well - unfortunately, Keyaam. If the wife wants the Canon EOS 450D, then that's probably what you will end up buying. It's not a bad camera at all. You will be happy with it..... There's also a whole range of lenses available.

Is your wife going into photography as a hobby, or professionally?

It will be her hobby. Plus then she can take pics of the tank.;)

if i may suggest something why not keep your eye on gumtree for a while ive seen alot of really good camera's come up for sale in the past month for really good prices, then even if this is a hobby u wont have to upgrade in future u can just add lenses.

I bought my daughter a 450D soon after that model became available, and she is very happy with it.

1) Canon 450D
2) Nikon D60
3) Sony @230

If I may suggest, first consider the type of photography that your wife will be doing, then look at the lenses she will need for this (performance, reliability, cost and availability...), and only then decide on the make of camera to go with the lenses. The cost of a DSLR camera is the smaller portion of the cost of the total system, just one or two semi-decent lenses will easily cost more than the camera body.

Personally, I would go for the 450D (or 500D) body only, and get the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to go with it - unless she is seriously into landscape photography, in which case I would opt for a wider lens. The 28-135mm lens is a full frame lens, and you will be able to use it on a full-frame sensor camera if/when you upgrade in the future, unlike the "digital" lenses which are of lesser quality, and which can only be used on crop-sensor cameras like the 450D/500D (and yes, the photography hobby is a lot like the marine hobby - we are forever going bigger, better, more expensive...).

Nikon cameras are also of very good quality, and you won't go wrong with either the Canon of Nikon camera. As far as I know, the Sony is pretty restricted as far as lens availability go, and I think (not sure though...) that their sensor size is also smaller than the Canon/Nikon.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Hennie

I have to agree with what Hennie says, both Canon and Nikon are good quality machines and I think in the end it comes down to what it feels like in your hand. This more so for woman with smaller hands.

The 450D is getting oldish now but then I also don't see the point in a DSLR with Video. To me they are separate hobbies.

Without starting a Canon vs Nikon feud, I would say the range of Canon lenses is a huge plus to go with the Canon.

Get a decent body, shoot shoot shoot and when you are comfortable (or your wife in this case) save and spend money on good lenses. Remember the camera and lens do not make the photograph, the photographer does.

Ross, have you seen some of the hd video clips using a decent makro lens ? I dont know, if you want to use it mainly for tank pics i think video is a neat feature.

Ross, have you seen some of the hd video clips using a decent makro lens ? I dont know, if you want to use it mainly for tank pics i think video is a neat feature.

You do know when I get up from the puter and go through my wife is going to want to knee-cap you for showing me that. There is jsut now way I could justify upgrading my camera ;)

I have seen some footage with these new DSLR with Video and it is impressive, but not being a big fan of video and only taking family type stuff I want to keep them separate. The other big problem is the time involved in editing video, it can be so tedious.

Still that is one awesome vid there....... jealous :biggrin:

i think the 500D looks like a great entry level camera. If you are (or your wife is) looking at starting out as a hobby then thats the camera I would personally go for. But then I have a cannon and I really like cannon.

Just a heads up, Canon is rumored to be releasing a new entry level camera within the next few days. Maybe keep and eye open and see what it is all about before you purchase.

Just a heads up, Canon is rumored to be releasing a new entry level camera within the next few days. Maybe keep and eye open and see what it is all about before you purchase.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im in no rush to buy cause her birthday is only in april.

Heya,

If you serious about buying the right camera, spend some time on the following sites:
KenRockwell.com
Welcome to OutdoorPhoto | OutdoorPhoto

Ken Rockwell does lots of comparisons: nikon vs canon vs leica vs all others, which lens works with what body, landscape vs portraits etc.
&
ODP is full of people whose hobby/profession is photography. great forum and sometimes a great bargain with cameras.

My husband bought me a canon 3 years ago, "as a hobby" and after about 6months of shooting with it, I realised the colour and quality wasn't there. I upgraded to Nikon and haven't regretted it for a second.

All of the best,

Back
Top Bottom