Cube sump design

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a cube build underway and was wondering on the sump design. Its a 60cm cube sump and was wondering about the need for three compartments. I wont be doing a dsb, so is there any need for a middle compartment? I will have a skimmer and NP reactor

chamber 1= Inlet from tank, Skimmer & Reactor
chamber 2= Return Pump
chamber3= RO water

2 chamber is then OK. NP reactor pump next to return pump, outlet as close as possible to skimmer intake. Reactor body in either chamber.

RO chamber would be nice. So that would be 3 chambers. Or 2 tanks/sumps, or one sump and plastic container. Whatever.

How much head space between sump and tank?

Can you fit a shallow frag tank in between.... :thumbup:

This is the tank and the existing sump which is a complete mess up, bought it like that. So gonna rip out the dividers and re-do it. The sump has a RO compartment which i will leave as is

344950640e791da30.jpg

344950640ea5babef.jpg

Lol , focus!! Sump design!!
ok
Leave the RO chamber. And put one divider at about 70-30 of the sump. That would give you big enough area for skimmer and reactor. Plus return chamber of 30% should be big enough to handle the fluctuation when the ATU decides not to work. Plus you would have enough space next to the return pump to place another pump to feed that frag tank.... :thumbup:

Last edited:
ok
Leave the RO chamber. And put one divider at about 70-30 of the sump. That would give you big enough area for skimmer and reactor. Plus return chamber of 30% should be big enough to handle the fluctuation when the ATU decides not to work. Plus you would have enought space necxt to the return pump to place another pump to feed that frag tank.... :thumbup:

Lol. no frag tank!!!!

But the 70/30 idea i like :thumbup:

ok
Leave the RO chamber. And put one divider at about 70-30 of the sump. That would give you big enough area for skimmer and reactor. Plus return chamber of 30% should be big enough to handle the fluctuation when the ATU decides not to work. Plus you would have enough space next to the return pump to place another pump to feed that frag tank.... :thumbup:
Agreed here, if you do not have a separate chamber for the return pump the water level might fluctuate too much for the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom