Ctfm Revamp't tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys just started with a friend of mines shop tank, the guy who ran the tank made a complete f up with it! Every thing died the water was so full of k.k that i took it all out boiled the LR took out the crushed coral in the bottom and cleaned the whole tank.. Man was that a dirty job.! Wel the tank is 1.7m x 1.7m x 1m so its a very nice system, has a corner overflow...i also had to remove all the lights it was all broken, nt even the ballast work any more.. The water was green, and there were like 4 fish in the system wen i cleaned it, it was 2 zebra hamburg's and 2 yellow tail damsel's.. So cruel! It has a sump of 1.5 m x .5 m x.5 m very nicely build, the whole tank is build with 19mm glass double bottom and the sump with 8mm glass! Doesnt even have a chiller the temp was 29 deg when i tested it, dont knw how those fish made it in that tank! Well now im redoing the whole tank and want your opinion on what to do! What lighting? What fish? What corals? What what whatever? I have about 250kg of LR for the system and about 150 to 200kg of aragonite! I also have 2 AM Skimmer that was on the system originaly just had to fix them a bit, but they working well now, dont know the model! But think they a bit under rated for the system! I want to build a bigger sump and add a big dsb! I have about 5 or 6 200w jager heaters for the system and it has a tunze wave maker controler and tunze power heads in the system.. So originaly the tank was build with the best equiptment.. Just the guy who was looking after it made a toss up about it! Now i told him ill get it started again and run it for him! So please guys, i need all the help i can get!?

Hey guys just started with a friend of mines shop tank, the guy who ran the tank made a complete f up with it! Every thing died the water was so full of k.k that i took it all out boiled the LR took out the crushed coral in the bottom and cleaned the whole tank.. Man was that a dirty job.! Wel the tank is 1.7m x 1.7m x 1m so its a very nice system, has a corner overflow...i also had to remove all the lights it was all broken, nt even the ballast work any more.. The water was green, and there were like 4 fish in the system wen i cleaned it, it was 2 zebra hamburg's and 2 yellow tail damsel's.. So cruel! It has a sump of 1.5 m x .5 m x.5 m very nicely build, the whole tank is build with 19mm glass double bottom and the sump with 8mm glass! Doesnt even have a chiller the temp was 29 deg when i tested it, dont knw how those fish made it in that tank! Well now im redoing the whole tank and want your opinion on what to do! What lighting? What fish? What corals? What what whatever? I have about 250kg of LR for the system and about 150 to 200kg of aragonite! I also have 2 AM Skimmer that was on the system originaly just had to fix them a bit, but they working well now, dont know the model! But think they a bit under rated for the system! I want to build a bigger sump and add a big dsb! I have about 5 or 6 200w jager heaters for the system and it has a tunze wave maker controler and tunze power heads in the system.. So originaly the tank was build with the best equiptment.. Just the guy who was looking after it made a toss up about it! Now i told him ill get it started again and run it for him! So please guys, i need all the help i can get!?

How did you do that???

this would not be a ctfm in northriding by any chance??

ahh i see you are in bloem.... my bad !

I took the LR and placed it in .1of those metal drums you get! And filed it with water and made a fire under it.. Now the LR is clean... Didnt do it with all of the LR just the pieces that had like this black groth on them! Stil need to clean some of the LR

Well that certainly adds new meaning to the term cooking your Live Rock

Normally when the guys talk about "cooking" live rock, it means that you place them in containers in a dark room, with a couple of circulating pumps and if you can add a skimmer it will also help. You do not add any food of any sort. And this you do for a couple of weeks. You do not need to make a fire under the rocks:lol:

bliksem !

Well that is one way to ensure no unwanted crabs or mantis crimps...

Just do not "cook" all your LR this way. At least the old uncooked rock can seed the cooked rock with life. Will take some time, and that might slow down your first cycle. So you have to at first handle the tank as if it only have the uncooked rock in it for filtration. 3 to 6 months from now, the cooked rock should be alive again and then you can stock the tank more.

now what you can do is get a product called Bacter Boost or LSB Boost, it will help revive the LR, i use it :)

IMHO,

Unless you are going to be able to check this syatem on a daily basis you are going to want it to be as forgiving as possible.....

Corals..... some softies would look good, huge kenyan trees, pincushions, loads of mushrooms some zoa's etc will make for a very appealing tank .... also low lighting demands so cuts costs there and reduces heat issues ....

Fish ...... how about a school of green chromis... like 20 of them? some yellow tangs, a foxface or two ? some damsels?

ask Lanzo, Dorry Pets

LIVE ROCK STEW YUMMY:p

ok so this is a huge 2900L system,awesome project and i assume he is willing to pay so heres what you need,

firstly i suggest going mixed reef in a huge system like this,complete with lps,softies,sps,anemone and clowns plus clams.

1.lighting-minimum of say 6x 250w metal halides as its quite a deep tank.
plus say 6x 39w t5 pure actinics if you wanna go sps and an anemone plus clams.
if you going for softies then you can getaway with around six of the 150w metal halides instead and still include the 6x39w t5's

2.run some carbon to polish up the water.

3.get a chiller as the metal halides gonna do some serious heating.

more to come later.....

I would agree that this should be low maintenance if its in a shop. That would mean softies and the like. Maybe some nice LPS as well.

You probably looking at as said above, 6x250W halides (the Lumenarc copies have a nice coverage) to get the right coverage (thats one huge, deep tank). Is the shop airconditioned? This may help with heating. Also remember 3000 odd litres will take a fair amount of time to heat up... and a fair amount of time to cool down I guess.

Not sure what pumps are running in this tank(what tunzes). I would probably add a polario or two just to get the flow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom