Critical Equipment

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I would like to know what equipment is critical to have running through a power failure ?

I have a Boyo Nano and currently I have everything including the chiller on the inverter but I would like to lower the load if possible.

I have a 3kv inverter with 2x 100ah deep cycle gel batteries, on top of that I still have a 1kv online ups with 3x 12ah and 3x 9ah batteries.

Thank you

Flow is number 1. After that it all depends on the length of the power outage and temperature. Corals and fish will survive in cooler water till about 20C for up to 3 days (corals vary but fish are more resilient). Lighting is not a problem for up to a week (usually for corals, fish can handle it for even longer). These are all estimates on time and species.

we sometimes have cable theft and then the power is down for say 8 hours, the thing that worries me is the house gets SUPER hot during the summer

I lost most of my system because I didn't have flow in the tank for about 12 hours (thanks to my geyser). You only need to have your powerheads running in the display so that gas exchange occurs. Not necessary for your return pump to run as well so more battery life for your powerheads.

All you really need on is your return pump.

Lights can be off. As well as heaters.
Do your Buyo still got its lid fitted?
If not, 12V PC fans for air circulation will help, can have that directly from 12V battery or if the UPS do have a 12V port, on that.

So my inverter runs my return pump a power head and through a relay a 5w led light comes on when the power goes off (enough light for the fishes to avoid the anemones). its proved more than enough for my large system and will run like this for about 32 hours. The chiller is out as it sucks up current. besides its about 2000liters of water that would take a while to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom