Coralife Protein Skimmers???

Reaction score
What do you guys think?

Should I get a Coralife 125g Skimmer ?
Anyone have one of these really good looking skimmers ?
Coralife125ProteinSkimmer.jpg

And I Quote:
"The Coralife Super Skimmer is a high-performance foam franctionator designed with a patented needle-wheel impeller and aspirating venturi. An improved, energy saving pump increases the performance of this skimmer without increasing power demand.

The needle-wheel system creates a spiralling vortex of water and micro-bubbles inside the reaction chamber. These bubbles attract fine proteins and organic compounds and deposit them in the collection cup resulting in a clean and healthy aquarium environment.

Hang-On Tank Mount
Hang-on tank mounting bracket will fit up to a 1 1/8" thick tank moulding.
Always keep a min. 8" clearance space between the aquarium and the wall

In-Sump Setup
Use a wide base for stable placement inside or outside of the sump
Keep a min. 1" clearance between the underside of the stand and the top of the skimmer. "

Don't you just love how they make it sound like a super awesome bubble blasting machine with great magical powers like no other before it.

My DT will probably be 800 X 500 X 500, 180L and Sump +/- 100L to 120L
DSB+Refugium/Bio-media/And possibly Trickle filter.

I have to import though but it's 140 to 160 USD for it.
So roughly looking at about R 1,500 before shipping
But I have a whole bunch of really awesome travelling friends in the US. I could probably ask one of them to bring it with when they come again.

I have to import though but it's 140 to 160 USD for it.
So roughly looking at about R 1,500 before shipping
But I have a whole bunch of really awesome travelling friends in the US. I could probably ask one of them to bring it with when they come again.

It looks out dated
Look for a cone type with a proper lph air rating
And the US use 110v 60Hz power
We use 220v 50Hz

Last edited:
This is basically a macro aqua or boyu skimmer.. i have simular to these in my time in the LFS and the cannot compare to the type of skimmer we need for out systems..

i have even tried to mod them to take stronger opt2000 pumps but their internal piping system is of a smaller diameter and hence battles with the newer pumps.

it depends what you want to use it for and the system load.. it is a skimmer after all and a step i the right direction but id rather advise you look for an OCTX160 or 200 or something better ...

Have a look at some of these...maybe they give you an idea...I'm still kind of lost with Protein Skimmers but like these makes...I would probably go one size bigger, to accommodate that "extra" fish or SPS...:p

Vertex ALPHA 170
New skimmers first time in s.a. - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

JNS SK-3 SKIMMER
Daaa dum.... Daaa dum.... Sharks seen in reef tanks in joburg - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Reef Octopus 2000-INT
2000-INT Bubble Blaster In-Sump Skimmers with Bubble Plate | The Waterboy

Deltec APF 800...External..they don't have Internal Skimmers for less than 1700L I think...
APF800 | The Aquarium Solution

Hope they are of some use to you...

Back
Top Bottom