Coral Pro Salt.

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and have read that it causes Cynobacteria. Who else uses this salt and what have you experienced? I used it on my Juwel and had cyno and am using it now on RSM, but i don't want to constantly have problems with cyno.

Same here, i use it with great results!
I have had cyno even with aquavitro salinity salt as well. (premium brand)
I highly doubt the cyno in those tanks were caused by the salt. Most likely the guys didnt use 0tds RO water or had high nutrient levels etc...
Read up on cyano & you will see what causes it...

Last edited:
The redsea coral pro wont cause cyano. Low water circulation or too little skimming or too little waterchanges or overfeeding or not using ro water when mixing salt water will cause the cyano

As mandarinman said, good flow & good water quality is the key to overcoming cyano.

I am not having cyno problem in my RSM was just in my Juwel and yes it was due to poor flow and skimmer was not skimming properly.

too little waterchanges

This has not been proven. Water changes are not the solution for decreasing poor water quality. They are a temporary solution to a husbandry problem that you might be overlooking in your tank. Water changes can certainly renew trace elements, but so can a good dosing regime with good essential and trace elements. Water changes will/can bring instability to your foundation elemenys like Alk, Ca, Mg and your pH.
I know that Red sea coral pro is known for their high Alk and Ca levels, and each batch is can have differences.

I was using Seachem and moved to coral pro because of the higher alk. With the Seachem I kept having to dose bicarbonate. After doing a 20% change with the new salt, I got a huge diatom bloom which I am sure is due to the higher alk. I am happy with this as it is part of my NO3 reduction plans which include vodka dosing( temporarily suspended until I get equilibrium again). I am sure your cyano bloom is a similar effect.

almost 3 years, only time i had cyano was coz of me.

Hey @wito-zn , I use the Coral Pro and very happy with it.
Some advice i picked up from the agents from Red Sea, was when ordering the buckets,
Dry mix your salt (once for new buckets), by rolling the bucket on the floor for a few minutes, or pouring the dry salt from one bucket to another a few times. It will prevent stratification of the salt- sometimes when a bucket of salt travels a lot, the shaking and vibrating causes the mix to separate according to grain size.
Always add salt to water, Never water to salt.
Mix at ambient temperature, and then bring the temp. up, if needed. Do not mix pre warmed water. Use a strong pump to mix the salt that won’t allow the salt to accumulate at the bottom, and keep it suspended. Don’t dump the salt, sprinkle it around so it won’t sink to the bottom in a pile.

There are other brands great out there as well. My advice would be to choose a brand and stick to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use Coral Pro and swear by it. i was just wondering if what i read was true. Thanks WarrenElvis will do that with my next bucket.

Are you aerating the newly mix saltwater?

This is important because the coral pro salt contains buffers as opposed to just raising the concentrations of alk, calcium and magnesium etc .

buffers need good mixing and a good amount of air to be properly activated. Adding the newly mixed salt H2O without giving the buffers time to activate can cause tiny fluctuations in Ph etc causing a teeny tiny bit of die off of bacteria, raising nitrate and phosphate a tiny little bit enough to start a tiny bit of cyano.

Back
Top Bottom