Colour changes in corals.

Reaction score
I've got an open brain coral that was a deep rust red colour on the outer flesh mantel and an almost luminous green inner area between the mouth and the outer mantel.

Although the coral seems to be quite healthy, with it "spitting" deep rust red coloured strands out of its mouth every 5 to 7 days, the outer rust red mantel is slowly turning a pale green colour.

Is this normal, or is it something to worry about? Does the colour change indicate some sort of deficeincy in either light or minerals?

TIA

Sounds like it is bleaching. Do you have before and after pics of it by any chance?

Has it always been under the same lighting? If you have suddenly changed to much stronger lights over your tank without acclimating your corals to the intensity it could very well be bleaching.

Sounds like it is bleaching. Do you have before and after pics of it by any chance?

Unfortunately I don't.

Has it always been under the same lighting? If you have suddenly changed to much stronger lights over your tank without acclimating your corals to the intensity it could very well be bleaching.

The lighting in the LFS tank where I bought the coral from does not appear to be as bright as my lighting. Will this kill the coral or will it adapt and return back to it's original colour over time?

The coral on the bottom right is the one I'm asking about.

untitled-6466.jpg

Last edited:
Lights are one aspect, what is your kH sitting at? Ca et al. Bleaching means the coral is expelling it's zooanthellae.

Lights are one aspect, what is your kH sitting at? Ca et al. Bleaching means the coral is expelling it's zooanthellae.

PH = 8, Kh = 9, Mg = 1260, Ca = 500, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0, NH4 = 0

From what I understand, these are pretty much ideal water parameters, exception being calcium is a little bit high and magnesium is a little low. Doing a water change at the moment to try and rectify the calcium / magnesium situation.

Back
Top Bottom