Collecting marine invertebrates

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have a few questions regarding collecting sea invertebrates and other organisms. about 6-8 months ago I bought a saltwater fish tank for my school biology lab. We did much fundraising and finally had the ability to purchase fish and amaze my fellow peers in the high school!
I recently just returned from my holiday break, and my teacher and I are wishing to display marine invertebrates from along the coast of Cape Town to give student the feel for what amazing creatures we have the ability to see. The only problem is how to start this.
I was wondering if I needed a permit to collect the invertebrates, what invertebrates are best to be kept, and how exactly to collect them? I do have a senior project coming up where I will be presenting the idea of global warming and human impact on the oceans. I thought if I could get some marine invertebrate in for this it would be amazing for my creative element!
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

You need a permit to collect just about anything from the ocean/coast.
Start by visiting your local post office and ask for the Annual recreational fishing permit.
On the form you can specify no.4 marine Aquarium Fish - you can collect certain invertabrates with that alone.
Familiarise yourself with the Marine Living Resources Act and also the conditions of the permit.

Do you have an idea of what invertabrates you want to keep?

Awesome, thanks!
Well I was looking for something maybe like a sea urchin. Sea cucumber was what I was originally wanting to collect, but I have no idea in what area I can locate them, or how to handle them. The one thing I want to make sure of is to have the ability to put them back and them not to die.

In your area there are many reefers that will be willing to assist in your educational endeavour. @459b any of your guys keen to help? I think they are on their way to a club meet. But be sure advice and help is imminent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that Capt Town area is cold water and the fish en inverts will not survive in tropical temps of 24 - 26 deg. You will need a chiller to keep water temp at 16 - 18 deg if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom