Cold fish

Reaction score
Woke up thinking why did my tank plug system trip . . . And then when I switched it back on I sor my heater sparking, what happened was that the glass on it cracked and split! So my fishies and corals gotta freeze until I get another heater after work. DAMN!!!

Fortunately, Durban is not so cold... could have been a lot worse if you lived in Johannesburg or Bloemfontein :whistling:

What is your water temperature at the moment?

I would suggest heating up small quantities of tank water in a glass/ceramic container, and then adding it SLOWLY to your sump, raising the temp back up to normal over a few hours.

Also, insulate you tank by covering the glass with styrofoam or a few layers of newspaper, and perhaps cover everything with a blanket. Putting on your lights will also help, especially if you have MH.

Good luck.

Hennie

i don't even run a heater on my tank and the coldest its dropped to is 22-23 and that was over night so don't worry about it with all the equipment you have running your temp should not drop too low.

Yeah thankfully durbs is kinda warm still. It may drop to 21 22 degrees , I'm very worried about my coral.

Fortunately, Durban is not so cold... could have been a lot worse if you lived in Johannesburg or Bloemfontein :whistling:

What is your water temperature at the moment?

I would suggest heating up small quantities of tank water in a glass/ceramic container, and then adding it SLOWLY to your sump, raising the temp back up to normal over a few hours.

Also, insulate you tank by covering the glass with styrofoam or a few layers of newspaper, and perhaps cover everything with a blanket. Putting on your lights will also help, especially if you have MH.

Good luck.

Hennie

Thanks Hennie that's a great idea! I hope it will be fine untill I get home from work.

awww dude, I have a heater at home....
Is it an oil or bar heater??
ℓ☺ℓ Jj. I'll come for it after work. Thanks bru:thumbup:

Last edited:
awww dude, I have a heater at home....

Tell me about it...my RO water stands at 16*C..:eek:..would hate for my Tank heater to give in during the night and I don't know it....:eek: Luckily my RO water has a Heater all by himself for when I make up a Salt Mixture...;)

Zaxx

I have about 3 spare heaters... Give me a shout if you get stuck

good luck mate.. but you should be fine

Zaxx

I have about 3 spare heaters... Give me a shout if you get stuck

ow thanks man. Really appreciat the offer:):thumbup:

So, are you home yet :whistling:

hehe yeah JUST got home now. . . water was still 22 which was good and the coral still looks fine
i was :033: the whole day! atleast now i can take a :chillpill: lol

... no kegs no fish sticks or sushi tonight lol, but im coming there just now for the heater ;)

Back
Top Bottom